Agent-based backup of Windows, Linux, Max, AIX and Solaris machines.
rob4465
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Rob Webb

Client backup in Backup Job and Protection Group

Post by rob4465 »

I am running a Veeam server for backing up company laptops. The storage is via a NAS, however this is getting full.

The Veeam server I have inherited has a backup job containing individual laptops. There is also a Protection Group which has been added to the backup job.

Now, some of the laptops exist in both the Protection Group and the backup job. I was wondering how Veeam handles this? Will it be trying to backup these laptops twice? Presumably these machines need to be either in the Protection Group or in the backup job, but not both.

Any help appreciated!
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6700 times

Re: Client backup in Backup Job and Protection Group

Post by Gostev »

When a backup job starts, it expands all included Protection Groups, then adds machines which are explicitly added to the job, and finally removes all duplicates from the resulting list of machines to process. In other words, you should not worry about some machines being backup up twice.

However, in general it is always a good idea to tidy things up in that sense. Since you are using Protection Groups, it makes no sense to add machines to the job explicitly. This functionality is there for small businesses in need to backup a static set of just a few machines. In such cases, Protection Groups add an unnecessary complexity.