Agent-based backup of Windows, Linux, Max, AIX and Solaris machines.
keesdebakker
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: kees de bakker

Combine b&r to local NAS and cloud connect with poor upload

Post by keesdebakker »

We have some questions on how to set up a complete backup solution at a new customer, that has vmware esxi running with one vm.

We've got B&R up and running, daily backups of the VM are going to a local NAS. We would like to offer the customer the possibility to use our veeam cloud connect solution to also have an offsite backup. Because of the poor upload (1mbit) i don't want to backup complete vm's, or virtual disks. They are too big, and even if the initial full backup will be uploaded succesfully (estimated time 30 days), i don't trust the connection enough.

I would like to make file backups instead, to our cloud connect server. I was browsing B&R but i don't see that option. Am i correct that i have to have to install a windows agent on our vm to be able to backup files with the veeam agent for server? Or is their something i'm missing in B&R?
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: Combine b&r to local NAS and cloud connect with poor upload

Post by Dima P. »

Hello and welcome to the community forums keesdebakker!

Veeam B&R can only protect entire VM with disks or files excluded. Veeam Agents can backup specific files / folders directly to Veeam Cloud Connect repository, so it seems to be the option you were looking for. Cheers!
keesdebakker
Novice

Post by keesdebakker »

Is it gonna give a conflict if i install the server agent on a virtual machine that is already beeing backup up with b&r? Really don't like this solution. I have a dedicted machine with b&r and now i still have to install server agent on the domain controller.
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Is it gonna give a conflict if i install the server agent on a virtual machine that is already beeing backup up with b&r?
Should work without any issues (just make sure that job schedules do not interfere with each other if you plan to use agent backup in conjunction with vm backup with application-aware image processing enabled).
I have a dedicted machine with b&r and now i still have to install server agent on the domain controller.
If that's the only machine you need to protect - then Veeam B&R is not required. Agent can operate in standalone mode without Veeam B&R server, and we fully support installing backup agent on Domain Controller.
keesdebakker
Novice

Post by keesdebakker »

Thank you so much for your help. So if i understand correctly i could just install the agent in standalone mode. With that i can make 2 jobs? One for files to a cloud provider and one job to backup the entire vm to a NAS. Will the local backup option make the same backup as B&R? So i would be able to restore the entire vm at once with that?
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

So if i understand correctly i could just install the agent in standalone mode. With that i can make 2 jobs?
Yes, but keep in mind that you need to install license to a standalone agent to make multiple jobs functionality available (license will be required anyway to enable ability to backup to cloud connect repository).
Will the local backup option make the same backup as B&R? So i would be able to restore the entire vm at once with that?
Yup, resulting backup will be the same, it does not depend on the repository type. Cheers!