Agent-based backup of Windows, Linux, Max, AIX and Solaris machines.
Novox
Expert
Liked: 22 times

"Continuous" "rescan" of Protection Groups

Post by Novox »

Is there any guidance on the schedule for Protection Group discovery/rescanning, like... how frequently it should occur?

I ask because I am now receiving numerous bios uuid issues (I believe due to VPN access and DNS). Additionally, my current schedule of "once daily at X:pm" misses numerous computers if they aren't currently online (laptops etc).

The docs don't seem to elaborate on this, but the "Discovery" "Rescan protection group every:" setting has a "Periodically every" radio button where one can select "Continuous." I assume this means... rescan over and over, but I'm wondering if Veeam has any guidance for "continuous" "rescans..."

i.e. DON'T do it because it hammers your Active Directory, (mostly) unnecessarily queries all your agent computers, generates a lot of network traffic, etc...

-OR-

DO do it because continuous will make sure VBR has the most up to date information, the agents are as up to date as they can be, IP addresses are more likely to be correct and address duplicate bios uuid issues, etc... when it comes time for a scheduled Backup job, aka, "Windows Agent Policy" (for workstation agents).

I realize the option likely wouldn't exist for "continuous" "rescans" if it was detrimental, but that doesn't necessarily mean my VBR server should be querying AD and all my agents constantly :/

Thank you!
PetrM
Veeam Software
Liked: 528 times
Full Name: Petr Makarov

Re: "Continuous" "rescan" of Protection Groups

Post by PetrM »

Hello,

Why do you think that the bios uuid issues are related to the fact that some of your computers are offline during rescan? Did you confirm this assumption with our support team? If yes, could you please a support case ID? I'm asking because if your assumption is true, then I believe we should handle this case in a different way, probably to show another more clear message etc.

Thanks!
Novox
Expert

Post by Novox »

"Rescan fails with "Unable to install backup agent: cannot connect to Error: Known agent have the same bios uuid but different connection point ."

"Scenario 3: Environment with frequent DHCP IP changes
The workstations connect to the network using a VPN solution that assigns a different IP address after each connection, leading to a situation where the cached DNS information stored by the Windows OS of the Veeam Backup & Replication server is out of date."

(https://www.veeam.com/kb4205)

(and no... disabling all DNS caching is not a reasonable solution).

However, disregarding anything I mentioned about bios and uuid issues, my original question stands.

Is there any guidance on the schedule for Protection Group discovery/rescanning, like... how frequently it should occur?

Thank you.
PetrM
Veeam Software
Liked: 528 times
Full Name: Petr Makarov

Post by PetrM »

Hello,

There is no guidance because the rescan schedule correctness depends on your specific needs and on your specific environment. We cannot make the guidance for every possible usage scenario so it's up to you to decide how frequently would you like to run the rescan operation.

Speaking about the error messages that you're seeing, I recommend you contact our support team. Our possibility to troubleshoot technical issues on the forum is very limited, we don't have access to your infrastructure and cannot analyze debug logs.

Thanks!
Novox
Expert

Post by Novox »

Thank you, @PetrM.

I'll choose a schedule that fits my workflows, given I can't go wrong.

Also, I did notice, that the "daily agent status report e-mail" in the Notifications tab of my Protection Groups, seems to send the result of the most recent rescan run. Therefore... if my email is set to send at 8am, but the last rescan task (currently have it set to every 3 hours) ran at maybe 5:30am, and if most of my agents were off or not present, I receive many more "Warnings":

Code: Select all

Host is unreachable.Cannot connect to {MyFQDN} Details: The network path was not found. The network path was not found. (ERROR_BAD_NETPATH).
Perhaps I should just turn this notification off and rely on the daily summary emails sent via "General Options" - "E-mail Settings"