Agent-based backup of Windows, Linux, Max, AIX and Solaris machines.
huddie
Influencer
Liked: 3 times
Full Name: Paul Anderson

Deploying Veeam Agents to Workstations Remotely

Post by huddie »

I can't deploy Veeam agents to our workstations remotely as the deployments are blocked by workstation Windows Firewall. I think the reason for this is I have never been able to find documented firewall rules for deploying workstation Veeam agents, only for running them. Veeam Backup & Replication 11 Veeam Agent Management Guide - https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... ml?ver=110 and Veeam Agent for Microsoft Windows 5.0 User Guide - https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/agent ... tml?ver=50 don't cover this. Has anyone documented this ?

So far, as a workaround, I've been manually deploying agents by turning off Windows Firewall on the workstation temporarily for the length of the install. However, this is very laborious as it has to be done for individual workstations via AD Group Policy. A complete set of firewall rules required for deploying Veeam agents remotely from Veeam B&R server would be very useful.
--
Paul Anderson
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2890 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: Deploying Veeam Agents to Workstations Remotely

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
the first link in your post lists sections with "deploy..."

If you don't like to open ports in the firewall, then there is the option to install the agent with any 3rd party software. And then protection groups with pre-installed agents would be the way to connect.

Best regards,
Hannes
huddie
Influencer

Post by huddie »

Thanks. This describes how to manually install agents from the workstations themselves, when you're using a protection group for preinstalled agents. We're not using a protection group for preinstalled agents (see screenshot below) and I'd like to be able to do agent deployments remotely (from the VB&R server) if possible. Failing that, is there any way I can install the necessary agent components directly on the workstation and point the agent to our VB&R server and this protection group ?

https://1drv.ms/u/s!Am8iAwlj8Okc7hhPUK_dAkcZUSF6
--
Paul Anderson
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

Hello Paul,

Any other protection group type will require bidirectional connection from agent to B&R (and visa-versa). If you need to manually install preconfigured agent and then place it later under B&R protection group/backup policy - protection group with pre-installed agents is the way to go.
huddie
Influencer

Post by huddie »

Sorry for the late reply, @Dima. At this stage I already have a number of workstations deployed, so it's too late to change protection group type. The best thing to do now is to establish the required Windows Firewall rules for remote agent installation and set those through AD Group Policy.

Please can someone tell me what Windows Firewall rules are required for remote Veeam agent installation from VB&R ?
--
Paul Anderson
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2890 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
HannesK wrote:the first link in your post lists sections with "deploy..."
are the ports listed in the user guide with "deploy" open (135, 137 to 139, 445, 6160, 11731)?

Best regards,
Hannes