Agent-based backup of Windows, Linux, Max, AIX and Solaris machines.
Gene-MN
Novice
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Gene M Kirschner

Feature Request - SQL Plugin Encryption Repository

Post by Gene-MN » 2 people like this post

Good morning all,
recently was able to move a SQL server with 500+ databases to Veeam from our legacy backup system using the new Veeam SQL Plugin. At first it looked like a great solution as prior to the plugin being released Veeam would cause the SQL server to exhaust its thread pool. We did run into a caveat: When I attempted to create a Copy Job to move the SQL Plugin backup data to our off-site NAS devices I could not select any of our repositories.

After opening a case with Veeam support, we were informed that the Veeam SQL Plugin backups did not support encryption nor landing on encrypted repositories. The Veeam Support representative put in an internal feature request but I thought it important enough to post here as well.

Thanks!

Gene
PetrM
Veeam Software
Liked: 528 times
Full Name: Petr Makarov

Re: Feature Request - SQL Plugin Encryption Repository

Post by PetrM »

Hello,

Yes, this is one of the "top" requests and not only for SQL plug-in but for all application plug-ins. It's on our roadmap already but I cannot give any ETA now.

Just out of curiosity: did you find an acceptable workaround or the solution cannot be implemented in your environment without this feature?

Thanks!
Gene-MN
Novice
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Gene M Kirschner

Post by Gene-MN »

Our environment contains CJIS, HIPPA and PII data so encryption is required for data in-flight and at-rest.

We are working around the issue for now but would like to have the data be able to use our normal SOBR as opposed to creating a new, unencrypted, one for just this dataset.

Thanks,

Gene
PetrM
Veeam Software
Liked: 528 times
Full Name: Petr Makarov

Post by PetrM » 1 person likes this post

Hello,

Got it and just FYI that TDE is supported by SQL plug-in, just one more idea of workaround.

Thanks!