Agent-based backup of Windows, Linux, Max, AIX and Solaris machines.
kmcq02
Novice
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Kerry

How to backup specific folders based on wildcards?

Post by kmcq02 » 1 person likes this post

I just upgraded to VBR 9.5 U3 mainly to take advantage of centralized management of VAW for some select workstations across several of our sites. I've configured a protection group for the workstations based on an AD security group and configured a backup job targeting the group. What I am trying to accomplish with the backup is to only backup the Desktop and My Documents folders for any user profiles on the machine. I haven't found a good way to do that....it won't let me enter a wildcard in the "The following file system items:" option (e.g. "C:\Users\*\Desktop"). Short of selecting the Personal Files option and setting up an exclude for every directory under C:\Users\*\ that might possibly show up and I won't need, is there any way for me to do this while still taking advantage of the VBR centralized management? It looks like the "Include" option in the File Filters is specifically for file-level includes or that would be an easy option.
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: How to backup specific folders based on wildcards?

Post by Dima P. » 1 person likes this post

Hello Kerry,

Thank you for your post. Indeed it’s not possible to use wildcards for file paths (wildcards are currently supported only for file names), but we plan to add this functionality in next versions.
osvaldo.ramirez
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Osvaldo Ramirez Amador

Post by osvaldo.ramirez »

Any update about wiht this requeriment
i have the same problem in VB&R V10
thanks for your reply
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

Hello Osvaldo,

Can you please clarify what type of wild card you need to apply? Any chance you need to exclude some folders from user profiles? Cheers!