Agent-based backup of Windows, Linux, Max, AIX and Solaris machines.
shlomia
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: Shlomi Avraham

How to perform one time full backup through Veeam Backup & Replication console?

Post by shlomia »

Hi, As title says, I'm looking for a way to perform a one time full backup for a Workstation through the Veeam backup & replication console.
I managed to add a physical workstation to a Protection Group but when I add the computer to a backup job, On the "Storage" page I see: "Keep backups for X days".
The problem is that I just want to take a one time full backup and keep it in my storage for ever, How can I do that?
when I go to the agent on the computer it self, I see "Standalone full backup" but I want to do that through the Veeam backup & replication console, Is there a way to do that?

Thanks!
mohammed.junaid
Service Provider
Liked: 3 times
Full Name: Junaid Ahmed Mohammed

Re: How to perform one time full backup through Veeam Backup & Replication console?

Post by mohammed.junaid » 2 people like this post

Hi shlomia,
Generally, when you perform the first backup, it will be a Full backup. You can select retention ("Keep backups for X days") based on your requirements.

Usually, Veeam will apply the retention during the next run of the configured backup job. If you don't schedule or run the backup job manually, the retention will not get applied, and backup will stay in the repository until you delete it manually.

I hope it answers your query.

Regards,
MJ
Natalia Lupacheva
Veteran
Liked: 302 times
Full Name: Natalia Lupacheva

Re: How to perform one time full backup through Veeam Backup & Replication console?

Post by Natalia Lupacheva » 1 person likes this post

Hi Shlomi,

We are talking about the agent managed by B&R, not the standalone agent, so I moved your thread to the dedicated forums.
Yes, Mohammed is right, you can run the job just once, without any schedule. I would also check if the retention policy for the outdated backups is not configured in your case.

Also, could you clarify your use case? You back up the workstation once and not going to track and keep any changes, am I right?

Thanks!
shlomia
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: Shlomi Avraham

Post by shlomia »

mohammed.junaid wrote: Oct 21, 2021 9:49 am Generally, when you perform the first backup, it will be a Full backup. You can select retention ("Keep backups for X days") based on your requirements. Usually, Veeam will apply the retention during the next run of the configured backup job. If you don't schedule or run the backup job manually, the retention will not get applied, and backup will stay in the repository until you delete it manually.
Thank you, Sounds good enough!
Natalia Lupacheva wrote: Oct 21, 2021 10:53 am We are talking about the agent managed by B&R, not the standalone agent, so I moved your thread to the dedicated forums. Yes, Mohammed is right, you can run the job just once, without any schedule. I would also check if the retention policy for the outdated backups is not configured in your case.

Also, could you clarify your use case? You back up the workstation once and not going to track and keep any changes, am I right?
Thanks! Yes, I would like to backup the workstation once and I'm not going to track or backup and changes at all.