Agent-based backup of Windows, Linux, Max, AIX and Solaris machines.
Upcraft
Lurker
Liked: never

Managed agent does not register event logs

Post by Upcraft »

So I was monitoring event logs for successful backups on standalone agent install.

I switched an agent from stand alone to being managed by Backup and Replication console.
But it is not registering events for the backup job. I just get
Application and Services Logs -> Veeam Agent
23051 Veeam Agent option EndPointAgentPriority has been changed.

No more
190 Veeam Agent 'Backup Job Workstation1' finished with Success.
10010 'Workstation1' restore point has been created.

How do I enable these event log entries again now that the agent is managed by the backup and replication console?
Do I have to go to "managed by agent" for the backup job to get these event logs back?
Egor Yakovlev
Veeam Software
Liked: 680 times
Full Name: Egor Yakovlev

Re: Managed agent does not register event logs

Post by Egor Yakovlev »

Sounds like a bug, can you please log a case and share it's ID here, while I am running some tests?
/Thanks!
Egor Yakovlev
Veeam Software
Liked: 680 times
Full Name: Egor Yakovlev

Post by Egor Yakovlev »

It is expected behavior with "Managed by Server" mode - agent is managed by VBR server, job is created and executed from VBR server and logging is done on the management server side.
Just wondering, why would you prefer a client-side logging if agent is fully managed by VBR server?

p.s. Yes, with Managed by Agent mode, job is kept on the client side and is executed by agent itself, thus logging is done on the client.
Upcraft
Lurker
Liked: never

Post by Upcraft »

RMM software can flag endpoints that have failed backups if the event log is present.

So in the remote monitoring dashboard you see the alert for the correct server/workstation that had the failed backup if the successful event is not seen.
Also you get a nice green checkmark for that workstation/server when the backup was successful in your dashboard.

So yes, the server can still send out emails, it can still do all the management of the backup job etc.
But for the purpose of dashboards and monitoring it would only show us that the backup server has an error. Possibly a post backup script on the server could push some customized event log to the client but that is pretty messy when the backup and the rmm tool already had been setup to watch for these events out of the box no fiddling, no testing, no reinventing the wheel.

So just allow the agent to continue to issue event logs even when fully managed and it continues to work.

Examples of RMM management that check Veeam agent event logs
Solarwinds RMM
Ninja RMM
Syncro RMM
and I'm sure that a large majority of other competitors can have a backup check enabled per endpoint.

Just in this example they would all alert on the backup server, not the workstation when that is the only point your rmm can monitor. So you go to the backup server to look and see what workstation failed. Or if you have many backups and at any given time you expect a few fail all the time (clients not turned on, working from home, offline for maintenance, etc) but now your backup server is almost always showing a failed status in your RMM. The RMM doesn't have deep insight into why, but it helps you on a day to day basis to know where to watch for problems. Now you are just ignoring the rmm results for the backup server to the point that you basically turn off the checks and any statistics the RMM was keeping for you to help identify trends is lost.

So if the loss of event log entries is a known behaviour I propose a feature request to enable the client to log events as an advanced job configuration option. (Alerts and logs sent to management server, or client logs events) And then as a further enhancement allow the old Veeam agent tray icon to be turned back on in advanced options if you want the endpoint to have local UI feedback of the backup status. All read only is still expected behaviour for fully managed but at least let the endpoint have optional visibility.
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. » 1 person likes this post

Upcraft,

Thank you for your feedback, we've noted an improvement request and will discuss it with RnD team. Cheers!