Agent-based backup of Windows, Linux, Max, AIX and Solaris machines.
axiomcrs
Service Provider
Liked: never

Need help with setting up Service Provider to my own datacenter

Post by axiomcrs »

I am using Veeam B&R to do b/u's of some physical machines and that is working fine. I would like to replicate those files to storage in my datacenter at my office. My present issue is getting the service provider setup. I've put the dns name in the field and after clicking next, the "Certification validation failed" is what I get (I've assumed that the step in the Veeam Service Provider Console installation when it asks to setup credentials that these will be seen automatically by the Service Provider setup from Veeam B&R). I've port forwarded thru the gateway to the server which contains the storage where I want the copied images to go. And I've installed Veeam Service Provider Console in my office server. What am I missing? or what is wrong? (in case it is instructed for me to login to the Veeam Service Provider Console, the username is not accepting my username, and I tried uninstalling/reinstalling it and the reinstall never requests to enter a new username b/c it seems it just reuses what was there before, so it probably requires some file(s) get deleted before the username can be set up again).
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2223 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Re: Need help with setting up Service Provider to my own datacenter

Post by Mildur »

The Service Provider Console is simply a frontend and not the "backup backend", which is receiving your backup data.

First, you will need in your datacenter:
  • a configured standalone Veeam B&R Server with Cloud Connect activated license (cannot be your backup server for internal vm backup)
  • a SSL certificate
  • a configured VCC Gateway
  • a configured backup repo
  • Optional for management and monitoring: Veeam Service Provider Console which is connecting to your VCC VBR Server
https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... ml?ver=100

Second, on your VBR Server (which is doing the backups), you have to connect to your VCC VBR Servers Gateway with FQDN and Port 6180.
https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... ml?ver=100

If your environment is not a veeam cloud connect service for customers, it would be better to add your backup repo in your datacenter directly as a repo to your vbr server with the backups and configure a backup copy job. For that, you need to use a vpn connection and there should be a gateway server in your datacenter for your storage device for your backup data.
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software
axiomcrs
Service Provider

Post by axiomcrs »

Thanks for that list. I cannot get into the standalone VBR:
https://i.gyazo.com/038230e794f287eccb3 ... eceb86.png

Then when I try to connect again it gives a diff error:
https://i.gyazo.com/c6b20060e40f400ddec ... 9ad206.png
Mildur
Product Manager

Post by Mildur »

Do you have installed a feature complete vbr server in your datacenter or only the vbr console?
I see this many times, that some people in my company only install the console and missing to install the correct product components.

Or do you trying to connect to your existing backup repo machine without having a proper vbr installation in datacenter?
axiomcrs
Service Provider

Post by axiomcrs »

I have done what you suggested and these errors are from step 1 of your list, i.e. "a configured standalone Veeam B&R Server with Cloud Connect activated license (cannot be your backup server for internal vm backup)". I believe it is a feature complete VBR.

I am not backing up anything on the server with this error.

I am going to uninstall, restart, and reinstall all Veeam on this server.

I will be installing VBR from here: https://www.veeam.com/backup-replicatio ... nload.html

I should add that I am a Veeam partner and an MSP. And I am a partner with Connectwise.
axiomcrs
Service Provider

Post by axiomcrs »

I did an uninstall all Veeam, restart, and reinstall VBR (both the full version and the stand-alone version) on this server.
Now I am getting this error:
https://i.gyazo.com/343aeafe3e276cda5f9 ... e000bf.png
Mildur
Product Manager

Post by Mildur »

With standalone, i‘m talking about a veeam server which is used only for cloud Connect purposes.
If you uninstall your old veeam server, uninstall the sql express instance too. I think, your error is showing up because of the sql express from your old vbr installation on this server.
I can‘t help you with this errors on this forum. Please open a support case. Veeam support technicians can look into your installation and tell you exactly what you are missing here.
axiomcrs
Service Provider

Post by axiomcrs »

I never had a VBR instance on this server. And I have uninstalled the SQL Express.
And the VBR I am attempting to put on this server is only for Cloud Connect purposes.