Agent-based backup of Windows, Linux, Max, AIX and Solaris machines.
nopking
Novice
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Paul King

Off site repository direct connection?

Post by nopking »

Forgive my broken English here, it's my first language but it's 3am and I've been dealing with a disaster for the past 10 days and I'm not particularly well versed in this particular issue and it's 3am and I'm waiting for a backup to finish that's on hour 9 and should have been done... 9 hours ago.

Client currently has Veeam, an appliance inside the building servers and workstations are backing to, and then an off-site repository that currently is relying on a VPN to connect it into the network. Gig fiber on each side, and everything works. Just slowly. I'm talking painfully slowly.

The VPN turns the gigabit connection into garbage. Half a meg a second currently. Point to point connection tests indicate I can hit remote location with at least 600mbit each way.

I've got access to any port mapping required, and I'm trying to figure out if veeam can have a repository connected just on the internet with no VPN but striking out on my searches. Just get rid of the horrible VPN and direct connect.

If anyone could point me to the terminology, what I'm missing, or just let me know I've got to attempt to sell them a VPN that doesn't suck but will only be used for this, let me know. Very much would appreciate it.
Andreas Neufert
VP, Product Management
Liked: 1401 times
Full Name: Andreas Neufert

Re: Off site repository direct connection?

Post by Andreas Neufert »

Hi Paul,

There is a Service that we call Veeam Cloud Connect that allows service provider to setup a backup target in the cloud/partner datacenter for multiple customers.

I wonder what your setup is really with the VPN.

Do you have a Repository Server installed on your datacenter that the Agent is using or do you push the backup to a SMB/NFS target through the VPN tunnel.
I am asking as the later one is not a good idea and as well you can set it up in a way that data goes through the tunnel multiple times if configured not correctly.

In general Agent should backup to a local backup target. Then a Backup copy job should copy the backup to your datacenter.
nopking
Novice

Post by nopking »

Repository server running fine when the data's all over, only changed data moves, works like Veeam should, but we had a server change at the site about 600 gigs of data and that took 96 hours to push, there's an additional 250 gigs of data coming now. CBT failed due to multiple power outages this weekend, so it's all gotta come again. I believe the last time there was a data change and issue of this magnitude they went and got the off-site repository server, brought it into the building, and let it sync up and took it back off.

Also using the word "datacenter" is pushing it - this is a computer at one of the employee's that serves as an off-site data dump in case the building catches on fire. I'm trying to manage a remote repository on a dedicated machine sitting in someone's house.

The issue with the VPN - not sure - it was only put in place to make the repository server work. It doesn't work well with Veeam, it doesn't work well with any apps like Lan Speed Test, it generally is just garbage which is sad because it's between two gigabit connections. Came with the router and all attempts to set it up differently have had similar meh results. Mikrotek, not sure what's going on with it but would really like to remove that from the equation as this is just moving archived encrypted data off site to a single IP. No real need to bring a VPN in for this.

All backups are going to local system at the office location, then syncing out.

Anyway, a backup that should have been done 10 hours ago is still running because the VPN is running 512KB-1MB a second, going to pass out as it's not getting done for another hour.
Andreas Neufert
VP, Product Management

Still not sure how the infrastructure looks like.
Do you use Backup Copy Jobs for "the syncing out"?

There is Veeam PN product that can be used as VPN. It has usually great performance.
nopking
Novice

Post by nopking »

Office
VMWare server - multiple virtual servers
A few machines with Agent on them
Veeam repository/backup machine at office <- everything backs up here
On-site secondary destination that shows in backup repositories (works fine) - if it's in the building or we had speed on the VPN this would have been done at 6pm yesterday

Remote
A computer that's connected into the office network via VPN - this is listed under backup repositories, running correctly, VPN is the issue.

I really was just hoping I could set a backup repository on the internet, map some ports in, and just let Veeam talk to it.
Andreas Neufert
VP, Product Management

OK ... maybe replace VPN with Veeam PN.
The second repository is it a Server REpository or a NFS/iSCS/SMB target?
nopking
Novice

Post by nopking »

ok, replaced VPN with Veeam PN, things look better in my limited speed testing but I'm now stuck with this issue -

open vpn client at remote site can ping anything in the office
office cannot ping the remote site

VPN's sitting at 10.210.0.1, client at 10.210.0.2, network it's connecting into is at 10.0.0.0/8

Client (210.0.2) pings server (10.0.2.19) no problem, connects, yadda yadda... but no reverse. I've been up 27 hours at this point working so I know it's something easy... help me obiwan
nopking
Novice

Post by nopking »

I have temporarily rigged this using a "route add 10.210.0.0 mask 255.255.0.0 10.210.0.1" on the only server at that location that needs to talk to the client - sleep now