Agent-based backup of Windows, Linux, Max, AIX and Solaris machines.
richfromgot
Influencer
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Richard

Point in time restores of physical machines

Post by richfromgot »

Hello. I have just deployed Veeam B&R to manage the backups of ~15 physical workstations. I have tested database, file level, and full bare metal(from an image) restore processes. I was under the impression that I would be able to perform in place PIT restores, without needing a boot image, of my machines using Volume Level Restores but it seems that is not the case. I am running into issues where I cannot restore volumes to their original location on a live machine.

My goal is to be able to, at any given time, restore my machine to a previous point without having to go through a full boot from image process. Is this possible with Veeam?

Any feedback is appreciated, thank you!
PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 724 times

Re: Point in time restores of physical machines

Post by PTide »

Hi,

Which OS is that? Linux or Windows? I guess the volumes that you would like to restore are not system volumes, right?

Thanks!
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

Richard,

Volume level recovery requires Operating System to be up and running, as well as backup agent should be operational. Due to this two factors it's impossible to overwrite the existing operating system volume.

Aside from the volume level recovery two other options are: Bare Metal Recovery and Export as virtual disk . You can also perform Instant VM recovery from the agent backup.
richfromgot
Influencer
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Richard

Post by richfromgot »

PTide wrote: Jun 04, 2021 3:41 pm Which OS is that? Linux or Windows? I guess the volumes that you would like to restore are not system volumes, right?
Hey thanks for responding. These are Windows workstations. I guess the idea I had was to simply restore ALL volumes from a previous PIT to the same machine but that does not seem to be possible per the documentation. If im going to restore volumes to another machine I would rather just do a full restore from image on the source machine.
Dima P. wrote: Jun 04, 2021 5:16 pm Volume level recovery requires Operating System to be up and running, as well as backup agent should be operational. Due to this two factors it's impossible to overwrite the existing operating system volume. Aside from the volume level recovery two other options are: Bare Metal Recovery and Export as virtual disk . You can also perform Instant VM recovery from the agent backup.
Thanks for the response. It seems that what I am looking for is not available for physical machines, only VMs, in terms of single machine PIT restores.
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

Richard,

Unfortunately, there is no way to restore entire physical server OS remotely. Thanks!