Agent-based backup of Windows, Linux, Max, AIX and Solaris machines.
phoenix3k
Novice
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: jpw

protection groups types

Post by phoenix3k »

hi,

is there any offical documentation about how the different types of protection groups are working?

im planning to change existing protection groups from "individual" to "active-directory-integrated" to avoid problems with changing ip-adresses and mobile clients with vpn-access.

in this thread servers-workstations-f49/protection-gro ... 48441.html the user "Dima P." is stating that "We should not rely on IP address in case the protection group type is Active Directory."

if possible i need an explanation what excactly the difference between the two protection groups are

thank you in advance
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2890 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: protection groups types

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
the user guide describes the different types of protection groups.

The "individual" protection group can use IP / DNS names without any Active Directory. Active Directory groups get all information they need from Active Directory. My suggestion would be to try it out to see how it goes. As alternative, protection groups with pre-installed agents might even fit better for roaming devices.

What Dima was saying is that the problems look like a bug. So that is irrelevant for the question as far as I see.

Best regards,
Hannes
phoenix3k
Novice
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: jpw

Re: protection groups types

Post by phoenix3k » 1 person likes this post

thank you very much! i will give " Active Directory groups" and "protection groups with pre-installed agents" a try