Agent-based backup of Windows, Linux, Max, AIX and Solaris machines.
sarapinho
Enthusiast
Liked: 7 times
Full Name: Amauri Ramos

Restore Cluster Microsoft to Azure

Post by sarapinho »

Hi,

I have a Microsoft virtual cluster with shared volume, this cluster I'm backing up via agent.

For a restore to azure should I restore both nodes or only the node that was active?

Thanks
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2889 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: Restore Cluster Microsoft to Azure

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
I would say, it depends what you try to achieve. As physical disks (aka shared volumes) become virtual disks in Azure, restoring both machines ends up with two machines where the shared volumes are attached to each VM.
user guide wrote:Machines from a backup that contains a failover cluster are restored as separate VMs, not as a cluster. Shared cluster disks of these VMs are restored as regular disks.
On the other hand, I assume that you like to have a cluster again. So you probably like to have two nodes restored.

How are you planning to restore the data of the shared volume? I just read the Microsoft documentation and would assume that volume restore of that is the easiest way.

I never tested cluster restore to Azure. But, probably I would just re-create the cluster completely without node restore and then just restore the data.

Let us know, how it goes :-)

Best regards,
Hannes
sarapinho
Enthusiast
Liked: 7 times
Full Name: Amauri Ramos

Re: Restore Cluster Microsoft to Azure

Post by sarapinho »

Hi Hannes

Thanks for the answer.