Agent-based backups for Windows and Linux, centralized agent management
tkCPSadm
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: tim kraft

This access control list is not in canonical form and therefore cannot be modified

Post by tkCPSadm »

Veeam support case - 04726248

After upgrading from version 9.5 release 4b, to Version 11.0.0.837 I received these warnings after jobs complete. It appears the backups are successful, yet I've not been able to find a similar enough reported warning message. Nor could I track down the cause. I'm not seeing any new errors on the server being backed up. (Windows 2016 via remote Veeam agent)

Warning: Collecting recovery media files Details: This access control list is not in canonical form and therefore cannot be modified

Any help is appreciated!

Cheers

PetrM
Veeam Software
Liked: 177 times
Full Name: Petr Makarov

Re: This access control list is not in canonical form and therefore cannot be modified

Post by PetrM »

Hi Tim,

Thanks for providing a case ID! Most likely the error is provoked by specific ACL permissions at the OS level. Let's wait for findings of our support team.

Thanks!

tkCPSadm
Novice

Re: This access control list is not in canonical form and therefore cannot be modified

Post by tkCPSadm »

Veeam support case - 04726248
So my case was archived. I've not found a lot of information on this KB (https://www.veeam.com/kb3026) which suggests making a registry edit to work around the issue. My worry is the error doesn't show which ACL is the issue. Nor do I want to randomly run ICACL verify on all directories to see if this is resolved. Has anyone come across ACL warnings before? I haven't had time to try to restore from a backup with the warning yet they do seem to process data. We do run Webroot AV, yet I have the endpoint directories added to an exclusion set as well. https://www.veeam.com/kb2034

Cheers,
Tim

PetrM
Veeam Software

Post by PetrM »

Hello,

We provide support on a "best effort" basis for customers using Community licensed products but you may try to open a support case once again. Every single attempt increases chances of getting support.

Thanks!

tkCPSadm
Novice

Post by tkCPSadm »

Case #04739186

I ran the jobs with AV turned off and still get the warning. I guess checking all directories is next. https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/window ... nds/icacls

tkCPSadm
Novice

Post by tkCPSadm »

Case #04751729

I've not been able to location any information in the logs or forums as to which ACL is being accessed by Veeam to perform this backup. Is there a list of file sets used? I have not found any resolution via ICACLS verify commands. Though I have not run it on the whole of C:/Windows or C:/Programfiles.

Cheers,

PetrM
Veeam Software

Post by PetrM » 1 person likes this post

Hi Tim,

Let's wait for what our support engineers can figure out.

Thanks!