Agent-based backup of Windows, Linux, Max, AIX and Solaris machines.
ianbutton1
Enthusiast
Liked: 18 times
Full Name: Ian Button

Three questions

Post by ianbutton1 »

Two are StoreOnce-related, but I can't see a dedupe appliance category in the forums . . .
1. Does Catalyst Replication remove expired backups from the target - in effect creating a mirror of the source device? The Catalyst Replication job setup screens don't offer any GFS archiving options, so I'm hoping it does mirror - otherwise backups would accumulate forever.

2. Are blocks in Veeam files on StoreOnces identical to blocks in other products' backup files (we also use Data Protector). Although both products probably use the same APIs, I guess that blocks can't be matched, so temporarily running both backup systems in parallel (backing up the same files while we gradually migrate to Veeam) probably doubles the space requirement. Can anyone confirm?

3. About Agent backups - in Disk (Copy) > job > Properties, we see in the Retention column not W/M/Y but R (for the first backup) - what does this signify? Maybe Retain (forever) if synthetic/active fulls are not specified? But no R in the Disk > job > Properties.

This is all V11 on Windows by the way.
TIA
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2292 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Re: Three questions

Post by Mildur »

1. Does Catalyst Replication remove expired backups from the target - in effect creating a mirror of the source device? The Catalyst Replication job setup screens don't offer any GFS archiving options, so I'm hoping it does mirror - otherwise backups would accumulate forever.
You can configure the target retention setting in the job settings:
https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... ml?ver=110
2. Are blocks in Veeam files on StoreOnces identical to blocks in other products' backup files (we also use Data Protector). Although both products probably use the same APIs, I guess that blocks can't be matched, so temporarily running both backup systems in parallel (backing up the same files while we gradually migrate to Veeam) probably doubles the space requirement. Can anyone confirm?
I don't think thats possible. Both backup product have their own unique block type. And if they are encrypted, there will be no dedup of course. Does StoreOnce have Global Dedup? I don't own a StoreOnce Appliance. :)
3. About Agent backups - in Disk (Copy) > job > Properties, we see in the Retention column not W/M/Y but R (for the first backup) - what does this signify? Maybe Retain (forever) if synthetic/active fulls are not specified? But no R in the Disk > job > Properties.
The values in the retention coloumn are GFS flagged restore points. This are explained here:
https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... ml?ver=110
R — full backups created with the short-term retention scheme or active full backups
W — weekly backups
M — monthly backups
Y — yearly backups
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software