Agent-based backup of Windows, Linux, Max, AIX and Solaris machines.
Tommy30
Lurker
Liked: never

Unable to install backup agent

Post by Tommy30 »

I'm trying to add a Windows workstation to a protection group in Veeam B&R but when I start the rescan process I always get the same error that is: "Cannot connect to... Access denied". If i try to install the backup agent, I get the errore: "Unable to install backup agent: cannot connect to... Access denied". The server which run the Veeam B&R seems seeing the Windows workstation and viceversa. I tryed to disable the firewall on the Server and on the Windows workstation with no result. How can I resolve this problem?
wishr
Veteran
Liked: 453 times
Full Name: Fedor Maslov

Re: Unable to install backup agent

Post by wishr »

Hi Tommy,

Welcome to Veeam Community Forums and thanks for posting.

Could you please confirm that the account used for connection has Local Admin rights on the workstation?

Thanks
Tommy30
Lurker
Liked: never

Post by Tommy30 »

Yes, the account used for the connection has Local Admin rights on the workstation
wishr
Veteran
Liked: 453 times
Full Name: Fedor Maslov

Post by wishr »

Please make sure the credentials are entered in localmachine-or-domain\username format and check if the required ports are open.
ejenner
Veteran
Liked: 100 times
Full Name: EJ

Post by ejenner » 1 person likes this post

Another issue which I've been banging my head against a brick wall over was Windows Home not allowing access to the local machine for anything other than the built-in Administrator account.

By default the built-in Administrator account on Windows Home is disabled. To enable it use the following in command prompt: net user administrator /active:yes

To open the Windows 10 Home equivalent of Users and Computers type: netplwiz at the run menu. From there you can set your local admin password.

Hope this helps someone.
olegm
Lurker
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Oleg M.

Post by olegm » 1 person likes this post

In centralized management scenario VBR can interact with Windows 10 (desktop OS) only with built-in account "Administrator". This account disabled by default and you can enable it with "lusrmgr.msc" snap-in. After that you will be able to add PC to Protection Group. BR, Oleg.
Markus46746
Novice
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Markus

Post by Markus46746 » 1 person likes this post

Hi Oleg, one addition: On Windows 10 clients (I have a workgroup szenario running) it is not possible to use lusrmgr.msc. You have to use the control panel. Unfortunately the user "Administrator" is not shown there. I used the method via command line mentioned by ejenner.