Agent-based backup of Windows, Linux, Max, AIX and Solaris machines.
musicwallaby
Novice
Liked: never

Understanding best type of backup to use for 25TB ReFS volume

Post by musicwallaby »

I have a Windows file server with a ReFS formatted drive that holds around 25TB of marketing data which is a mix of big files like videos and small files like graphics or office documents and I need to back it up using Veeam Agent via a Veeam 11 Enterprise server.

Change rate is bursty so some days nothing some days 1TB of new video files.

I've not done much with Veeam Agent but I can see it does image level, volume level, and folder level backups.

I don't want image level as the server holds other data.

Volume level seemed to result in an initial backup being done from a VSS snapshot which made sense but when I did an incremental it seemed to re-read the entire 25TB volume from a fresh VSS snapshot so even though it only transferred 1GB of data (all that had changed) it took a couple days to do it.

I presume file level is the option I want but that seems to backup at 22MB/Sec which is no good.

I didn't see any options to do things like tune the number of concurrent file reads though.

What would people suggest for this sort of thing please?

Jas
PetrM
Veeam Software
Liked: 528 times
Full Name: Petr Makarov

Re: Understanding best type of backup to use for 25TB ReFS volume

Post by PetrM »

Hello,

I guess you should have a look at NAS Backup. There is the backup I/O control to fine-tune the number of parallel streams for a file share.

Thanks!
musicwallaby
Novice

Post by musicwallaby »

Thanks Petr, I'm a bit confused though as this isn't a NAS it's a Windows Server so I assumed the agent is the right way to do this as it's "on box" so should be quicker no?
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6725 times

Post by Gostev »

NAS backup job will also automatically use an "agent on the box" so it's quicker.
musicwallaby
Novice

Post by musicwallaby »

Thank you Gostev, so for my understanding the Veeam agent got installed as part of experimenting with volume and file level.

You're saying do NAS backup and even though it isn't a NAS it will use the same agent but the speeds should be better?

Are there any other settings I should be looking at specific to this sort of backup?

If I do a multi-threaded robocopy to another server over 10GbE I can get multi-Gbps speeds with large files so the source speeds should be OK.