Agent-based backup of Windows, Linux, Max, AIX and Solaris machines.
richfromgot
Influencer
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Richard

Veeam B&R 11a patch / agent questions

Post by richfromgot »

Hello! Hope everyone is having a good day. :D

I have a VM running Veeam B&R(Build: 11.0.0.837). It's responsible for backing up workstations across a few different sites. Each workstation is configured as servers and the backup jobs are configured to be backed up by the backup server. Workstation agent build is(5.0.0.4301). I plan on running the new 11a patch on the backup server this week. I have two questions: (1) Will the backup server/jobs have issues communicating with the servers post patch? (2) Is there any additional work to be done on each workstation after the patch is implemented on the backup server?

Looking at this https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... ml?ver=110 it does seems like 11a will support the backup jobs.

Any guidance is greatly appreciated.
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2877 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: Veeam B&R 11a patch / agent questions

Post by HannesK » 1 person likes this post

Hello,
yes, it continues working. But the agents should be upgraded as soon as possible, too.

Best regards,
Hannes
richfromgot
Influencer

Post by richfromgot »

Thanks for the quick reply. I'll make a plan to upgrade those agents in the next few weeks.

As for my 2nd questions, if you know, will any additional configuration be needed when I apply the patch to the backup server at the workstation level? I'm assuming it'll get figured out on the next re scan?
wishr
Veteran
Liked: 453 times
Full Name: Fedor Maslov

Post by wishr » 1 person likes this post

No, your Agents will keep operating normally. The system will propose you update the Agents on the machines as soon as outdated versions are detected and you may decide to do it straight away or later. At this point, no additional actions are required.

After you update the Agents themselves, a reboot may be required. For example, this may happen if underlying components such as .Net require it or if there are pending Windows updates.

Thanks
richfromgot
Influencer

Post by richfromgot » 2 people like this post

Hi everyone thanks for the assistance here. Had my patching window last night and everything went smoothly. I did get a string of warnings this morning saying "Backup agent installation is not required. Host reboot required". All my backups went through last night successfully but it seems the agent was upgraded automatically on half of my machines.

After a little digging I found that all my protection groups had "Auto-update backup agent" ticked on. No big deal as all my backups went through but figured i'd post here in case anyone finds themselves having the same issue.