Agent-based backup of Windows, Linux, Max, AIX and Solaris machines.
avanrossem
Novice
Liked: never

Veeam Backup to offline location?

Post by avanrossem »

Hi everyone. I have an easy question i guess :-)
In our company we have veeam Backup and replication running.
Veaam creates every night backups of several VM's (approx 50 VM's) and stores the veeam backups on a NAS (in folder NAS\Veaam_NFS2\) within the company network.

I will have a problem when the office-building burns down (i loose everything) so therefore I would like to 'copy' the veaam-backups to an external location.
I tried to do that copy once in a week but that copy takes a very long time (approx 1 week) and in the meantime the files i want to copy are overwritten by the daily backups..
so this is not working.

My questions are:
1: What is the best strategy for achieving this offline veeam backups?
Can i just make a copy of the NAS\Veaam_NFS2 folder to the same NAS to a folder called NAS\Veaam_NFS2_copy (which will be quite fast) and then copy this folder to an external location?

3: If 1 does work is it possible to restore VM's using the external files?

Any help much appreciated. Thanks!
Andre
Egor Yakovlev
Veeam Software
Liked: 683 times
Full Name: Egor Yakovlev

Re: Veeam Backup to offline location?

Post by Egor Yakovlev »

Hi there!

I guess you are talking about initial Backup Copy sync that takes forever? I you can try using Backup Copy Seed for it, aka create local backup copy(one folder to another), then transfer files offsite via any mean(drive a car?) and then rescan-remap job to a new destination. That should do the trick with first sync and afterwards it will transfer only new incremental points.

/Hope that helps!
avanrossem
Novice

Post by avanrossem »

Hi Egor. Thanks for your reply. The backup within my office is running perfect. no problems at all. the 'problem' is the speed for moving these backups from the local NAS to an external location (over the internet) this takes more than a week (and in the mean time, veaamfiles are overwritten by the daily backup)

What i want to do is:
1: Copy veaam-backup folder to another folder. (veaam-copy)
2: Copy that other folder to external device (i am sure no files are overwritten then)

The big question is if i can use the external copy to restore the VM's if needed.
Egor Yakovlev
Veeam Software
Liked: 683 times
Full Name: Egor Yakovlev

Post by Egor Yakovlev »

The big question is if i can use the external copy to restore the VM's if needed.
Sure you can, Veeam backup files are self-contained and can be imported back or to another VBR installation in a matter of a few clicks.
avanrossem
Novice

Post by avanrossem »

Hi @Egor Thanks for this information. Really helpfull. Have a great day.