Agent-based backup of Windows, Linux, Max, AIX and Solaris machines.
curt132
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Curt Sappe

veeam community edition encryption

Post by curt132 »

Hello everybody,

im new to veeam and i am currently evaluating the veeam community edition which looks great so far especially for the price.
Im backuping a single DC with job mode server and and backup mode "entire computer" . That all works fine.

Now I am wondering if its possible to encrypt the backups with this licence edition.

I have activated encryption in the backup job in adv.settings of the job. I think that should be the right option.
But when i try a restore of the files he is not asking for credentials and is just restoring without credentials.
So my question would be, is this behaviour because im restoring from the server where veeam is installed so thats why is not asking for credentials?
Or is this behaviour because its not supported in community licence, or 3. option I am missing something completedly?

Maybe someone can help, Thnx in advance :D
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2287 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Re: veeam community edition encryption

Post by Mildur »

Hi Curt

Encryption is fully supported for the community edition.
The only limitation, you can't use our Password Loss Protection feature in case you want to import encrypted backups and you have lost your password used for the encryption.
But when i try a restore of the files he is not asking for credentials and is just restoring without credentials.
So my question would be, is this behaviour because im restoring from the server where veeam is installed so thats why is not asking for credentials?
This is expected behavior. The Veeam Server has the the information to encrypt and decrypt backup files stored in its database.
If someone would steal the backup files over network or physically from the backup storage and import them to another Veeam server, they need to provide the encryption password to access the data in the backup files.

Thanks
Fabian
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software
curt132
Novice

Post by curt132 »

Hello Fabian,

thankyou that was the answer I wanted to hear :)
I even verified it by importing a small backup to another test install and as you said there was a password prompt.
Do you maybe know if the education edition is able to backup to single tape (lto/rdx)?

Greetings
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2287 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Post by Mildur »

Hi Curt
You're welcome. :)

The community edition can use File To Tape Jobs for LTO Tapes. Backup To Tape Jobs can only be used with an VUL or Socket (Ent, Ent+) license.

For RDX you need to use a Backup Copy Job. RDX Repositories must be configured with the rotated drive option.
We have also a KB article for RDX media:
https://www.veeam.com/kb4048

Thanks
Fabian
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software
curt132
Novice

Post by curt132 »

Thank you very much :)