Agent-based backup of Windows, Linux, Max, AIX and Solaris machines.
bcampbell
Influencer
Liked: 7 times
Full Name: bryan campbell

Veeam Guest Interaction Proxy is getting installed on agents

Post by bcampbell »

We recently upgraded our B&R servers to V12. When a rescan of our agent protection groups occurred Veeam backup transport is now installed as a program instead of running as a service. We have also see that the transport service is now listening on 6160 and 6162.(veeam port list shows windows should only be listening on 6160. 6162 is for Linux) We have also seen that Veeam.Guest.Interaction.Proxy.exe is now a new process listening on ports 6190 and 6290. This process and ports are not listed on the agent port list and should only be on VMs running guest interaction.

Support is trying to look into this for me. Case # 05960021

I just want to bring it up as this is unexpected and not documented anywhere that I can find. If you do any sort of change control on hardened assets, be warned that upgrading Veeam server despite not upgrading the agents to 6.x yet will make changes to the assets.

Thanks
Bryan
jason.reynolds
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Jason Reynolds

Veeam Guest Interaction Proxy is getting installed on agents

Post by jason.reynolds »

Why is the Veeam Guest Interaction Proxy getting automatically installed on agents that have nothing to do with VMware but not being mentioned in the Agents guides?

Why aren't ports 6190 and 6290 listed in the Veeam Agent Management Guide ports list?
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2296 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Re: Veeam Guest Interaction Proxy is getting installed on agents

Post by Mildur »

Hi Jason

Veeam Guest Interaction Proxy is a component from Veeam Backup & Replication.
Every managed windows server can be a guest interaction proxy for a VmWare Job. Have you added your clients as a managed server?

Agent deployment only requires configuring the protection groups. You don't have to add them as Managed Server.
The guest interaction proxy should not be deployed if your agents are only managed via protection groups.

Update:
I will check why we have this service installed. I also see it on some of my Agents.

Best,
Fabian
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2296 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Post by Mildur »

Hi @bcampbell

I merged your topic with this one. This topic will be updated when I have an answer.

Best,
Fabian
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software
eider
Influencer
Liked: 7 times

Post by eider »

Wouldn't this be similar case to how all Linux servers are being deployed with same services since V12 (see veeam-agents-for-linux-mac-aix-solaris- ... 85179.html)?