Agent-based backup of Windows, Linux, Max, AIX and Solaris machines.
nixcamic
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: Micah Leier

Very slow backup on simple setup

Post by nixcamic »

I have a simple setup, Veeam B&R running on Win10 Pro on a (older) dual quad core Xeon box with 20GB of RAM, and the Agent installed on Windows 10 Pro on Ryzen workstation. They are connected together through a GigE switch. No other agents or anything at the moment since I was just setting it up to try it out on my configuration. However, I'm getting about 2MB/s on my backup. The network connection is far from saturated, and Veeam isn't using a significant amount of resources on either computer. Bottleneck is stuck on "Detecting". I had a similar problem when I tried setting up a Linux client also. Thanks in advance.

Case# 47839065
nixcamic
Influencer

Re: Very slow backup on simple setup

Post by nixcamic »

Setting UseUnbufferedAccess=0 improved it, I now get ~20MBps which still seems slow but is at least somewhat usable.
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2890 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
that's not normal. I do maximum speed my USB drive can do (which is much faster than 1Gbit/s).

Looking at the screenshot, I believe that he is doing file-based backup (expected to be slow) instead of block based backup (recommended and much faster)

Volume or Entire Computer backup mode should fix that

Best regards,
Hannes
nixcamic
Influencer

Post by nixcamic »

Yes I am doing file-based backups I know it's not Veeams forte but I wanted to try it out for 3 reasons:

1: I'm backing up my home computers right now while trying to learn Veeam, and the NAS I am backing up to really only has space to back up what I actually can't replace.
2: When/if I do put it into production we have a few ZFS servers that need to be backed up, as far as I know only file-based backups are supported from ZFS volumes right? I'd be happy if my information is outdated on this.
3: Some of our production workstations have messed up file hierarchies. I don't want to back up terabytes of cruft because artists put stuff wherever they feel.

I will do volume based backups wherever possible, but for where it isn't, are these really expected speeds?
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2284 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Post by Mildur »

but for where it isn't, are these really expected speeds?
It‘s like copying thousands of small files, that will never have full speed. This speeds are expected.
If you backup a large file (GB), then the speed will go up for that file. But never for really small files.

Yes, ZFS still needs file level backup:
https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/agent ... tml?ver=50
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software
HannesK
Product Manager

Post by HannesK »

ah, the screenshot showed a Windows machine... yes, what Fabian said for Linux

The alternative would be adding the machines as managed servers and then to NAS backup. That would still take some time for the full backup, but the incremental runs would be fast then.

the question is, whether your users might put important stuff somewhere where you don't back up. entire machine backups solve that challenge.
nixcamic
Influencer

Post by nixcamic »

Sorry I wasn't very clean, I showed a Windows screenshot, but both the Windows and Linux agents on my home network are backing up slowly.

Are there any plans for better ZFS support in the future? The ability to do volume backups of ZFS would be great.
HannesK
Product Manager

Post by HannesK »

yes, file level backup is always slower than block level backup. that's just in the nature of the technology (independent from the backup software).

chances are low for ZFS improvements.