Agent-based backup of Windows, Linux, Max, AIX and Solaris machines.
edison5000
Expert
Liked: 7 times
Full Name: e

way to run workstation backup job on single agent that is part of an ou in protection group?

Post by edison5000 »

If this is an agent question, feel free to move to the agent forum, thanks. : )

Typically, so far as I can see, this is not possible. I know you can add machines individually to protection groups - but this is still separate from backup jobs.

Only way I can see to do it is to remove that system from a preexisting OU & protection group, stick it in another ou, then add that ou to a different, new protection group, theeeen run a different job on it.

Otherwise, it would be super handy to be able to force a machine in a preexisting ou/protection group to run whichever job it is part of, individually.
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2889 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: way to run workstation backup job on single agent that is part of an ou in protection group?

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
I guess that you back up your workstations with an agent, so yes, one of the agent forums is the way to go. ;-)

I struggle to understand the question, but I guess that you are asking for "quick backup".

If that's not what you are looking for, it would be helpful to get step by step information on what you did and what you try to achieve (what is "preexisting ou/protection group" vs. "preexisting OU & protection group" mean. what does "preexisting OU" mean vs. a normal active directory organization unit?).

Best regards,
Hannes
edison5000
Expert

Re: way to run workstation backup job on single agent that is part of an ou in protection group?

Post by edison5000 »

Hans - Thanks for your input again. Yes!! - 'quick backup' for workstation mode agents is what we are looking for. I do not think you can do that though; the option for 'quick backup' does not appear for us. I suspect you can only do that if you deployed agents in "server" mode. All of our agents have been deployed as 'workstation / managed by agent'.

detail -

The reason i mentioned 'preexisting' is because, if a system is already in an ou, and that OU is part of a protection group - it is very cumbersome to remotely try to trigger a backup for a single 'workstation' mode machine as an admin, remotely.

Outside of asking a user to manually trigger it themselves from the agent, the only other option I see for single machine backup, pushed from the B&R server in workstation mode, if one is using typical AD objects, would be,

1. make a separate protection group in veeam specifically for these situations, maybe put a special OU in there
2. make a new job specifically for that protection group
3. move single machine that you want to force new or incremental backup on in AD, out of an ou and job that it is already part of, to the special ou
4. run the job in the 'special' group
5. move that machine out of that ou back to the original ou

I'm not sure that this process wouldn't trigger an entirely new backup chain, though, if one already existed in the original ou, which is also not good.

And, you cannot have multiple jobs assigned to the same agent in Veeam, so that is not an option either.

I realize this may sound confusing, but this appears to be the only method I see if there is no 'quick backup' for workstation mode agents, using AD & OU's for organizing and managing our backups.

Thanks again.
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2889 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
'quick backup' for workstation mode agents is what we are looking for
ok, now the request is clear đź‘Ť

The idea of "managed by agent" is, that backups are triggered on the client side. Agree, there might be some scenarios, where the backup admin wants to trigger a backup from a workstation. Normally, that is something we expect the user sitting in front of the workstation doing (if needed)

Best regards,
Hannes
edison5000
Expert

Post by edison5000 »

Hannes - Thank you.

The primary reason we want to force agent backups as admin is - if Veeam agent is installed on a remote system for the first time, and that remote system is not persistently online, we want to make sure it gets a full backup done before it goes offline again. Yes, it is easy to ask user to start the first full themselves, but they are not always available (for example, they connect remotely, forget to start the backup - then they go to meetings while the machine sits there).

This would not be necessary if there was a way to set agent to instantly backup as soon as agent finishes installing (perhaps this would be another feature request? :)
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. » 1 person likes this post

edison5000,

Noted as a feature request, yup! Thank you for sharing!