Agent-based backup of Windows, Linux, Max, AIX and Solaris machines.
skipzoid
Influencer
Liked: never

Which logfile has a list of files backed up.

Post by skipzoid »

Hello.

I'm trying to get to the bottom of why out fileserver has files on it that do not appear to be within the backups.

I've exported the log files, but there are lots of lots in different directories. Which log shows the files that were accessed on the file server and backed up into the veeam backup?

I'm trying to same the time looking in each and every log for the list of filenames backed up - i'm hoping when I do find it that a reason why some files are not in the backup.

thanks.
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2890 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: Which logfile has a list of files backed up.

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
as Veeam is backing up the whole VM per default. That means all files must be available per default. I guess that an exclusion was created in the backup job.

Veeam is backing up blocks (aka "image-based backup"). Not files. So there cannot be a list of files in any of the logs.

Best regards,
Hannes
skipzoid
Influencer

Post by skipzoid »

Thanks for the reply. I should have said its an agent backup and only backing up the E:\ drive which is the shares on the file server but its only backing up some directories and sub directories. there will be a pattern and reason why but I've not found it yet.
HannesK
Product Manager

Post by HannesK »

okay, I moved the topic to the agents forum :-)

With file-based-backup (not recommended for performance reasons), there would be a theoretic chance to log that, yes. But for scalability reasons we don't do that.

To solve your issue: there are also exclusions possible for agent-based backups.
skipzoid
Influencer

Post by skipzoid »

I have have any exclusions, it should be backing up the entire e:\ , but only some directories and sub directories are being backed up.

Which log shows what has been backed up and a reason why it might not have backed up?
HannesK
Product Manager

Post by HannesK »

if you want to back up entire e:\, then volume level backup should be used. then my initial answer applies again: image level backup covers everything. and the software does block-based backup then (not file-based).

If things are missing and you cannot find the information you need in the log files (c:\programdata\veeam\backup\<jobname>\*.log), then I can only recommend to talk to support to find out what is happening. please post the case number for reference.
skipzoid
Influencer

Post by skipzoid »

I've found someting else odd, in the files view under Tape, it shows the name of the server and the filing system, however only some of the directories are shown. further up under the Microsoft Windows path and then the name of the server the same structure shows but all the files and directorys are show which can be restored.

The backup initially does a file copy and then a secondry copy to tape. why wouldnt the files view show the complete list in both?

the server shown under the Microsoft Windows part shows 135 folders, whereas further down under the tape is only shows 62, does this mean not all folders have secondry copies on tape?
HannesK
Product Manager

Post by HannesK »

correct, the "tapes" section in the "files" view shows files, because that is file-based backup. Doing that has a downside: scalability and it takes a large amount of space in the database. that's why this only works for a few million files with the SQL express included in the setup.

In the "Microsoft Windows" section it shows the live file system of the servers. It's NOT what is in backup :-)
The backup initially does a file copy and then a secondry copy to tape. why wouldnt the files view show the complete list in both?
the backup done by Veeam agent for Windows ends up in one backup file I mentioned earlier. The tape job does not know about the content of that backup file. In most cases, it's just blocks. Not files. So it's impossible to say which files are in there (except for the corner case / not recommended file-based backup that you are probably using)

The backup to tape or file to tape job copies the one backup file. everything that is in there is available on tape.