Agent-based backup of Windows, Linux, Max, AIX and Solaris machines.
RubinCompServ
Service Provider
Liked: 66 times
Full Name: David Rubin

Re: Windows 11 22H2 not officially supported by Veeam

Post by RubinCompServ » 1 person likes this post

robnicholsonmalt wrote: Dec 21, 2022 5:19 pm You're talking more there about Windows server than Windows desktop? Nobody is seriously running ReFS on their laptop and if they are, you're holding back for the minority. I support Windows desktop and server so appreciate the complexity. 22H2 was released to the preview channel in June 2022 - six months ago. Server backup and client backup are two totally different scenarios. The former does need a more reserved approach but not client.
Are you suggesting that Veeam should go back to the days of different Agents for different instances, with an agent for Windows Desktop and a completely different agent for Windows Server? Do you think that that will somehow make the agents MORE stable?
mcz
Veeam Legend
Liked: 173 times
Full Name: Michael

Post by mcz » 4 people like this post

Gostev wrote: Dec 21, 2022 2:45 pm These two activities take at least a couple of weeks so that's the absolute minimum delay possible before we can officially claim support for any major update (and be able to honestly tell our customers that it's OK to deploy them). Not doing such testing internally means having our customers do this same testing in their production environments instead.
In our company I'm also the link between end users and software developers and I do see similar requests from the end users ('why can't they fix it until tomorrow?'). Most of the time people do not understand that it takes less effort/less wasted time to wait until thoroughly testing/quality assurance has been done by the software vendor than getting a quickly fixed version, which contains a lot of hidden bugs that YOU (as a customer) have to find...

So allthough everybody (me included) would love to get new platform support ASAP, I'm happy that veeam does only release their products when they are ready. Big thanks for that!
robnicholsonmalt
Expert
Liked: 12 times
Full Name: Rob Nicholson

Post by robnicholsonmalt »

>Are you suggesting that Veeam should go back to the days of different Agents for different instances, with an agent for Windows Desktop and a completely different agent for Windows Server? Do you think that that will somehow make the agents MORE stable?

Can't see how it would fundamentally make it more unstable. You don't *have* to upgrade the Windows server. I keep making the point that back up of infrastructure and client computers are two very different requirements. Macrium Reflect is mainly in the client space. They manage to keep up to date with updates.

It's now 7 months since the release preview and 4 months since 22H2 was released. Sorry but that too long to fix a fault in the *recovery* environment. I'm sure the Windows development team at first tried to fight the more regular update schedule under the banner of stability.
RubinCompServ
Service Provider

Post by RubinCompServ » 2 people like this post

You can't see how having to split QA resources over three products instead of two won't lead to more instabilities? Veeam doesn't have unlimited resources for QA, so if they have to test three Agents (Windows Server, Windows Workstation, Linux) instead of just two (Windows & Linux), that's fewer resources for each product, resulting (potentially) in more bugs slipping through.
bingyman@ptd.net
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Tom Bingeman

Post by bingyman@ptd.net »

Can anyone from Veeam provide a ballpark estimate when B&R version 12 and the Windows agent version 6 will be released?
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2889 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Post by HannesK » 1 person likes this post

Hello,
and welcome to the forums. Yes, Q1 2023 is the plan.

Best regards,
Hannes
robnicholsonmalt
Expert
Liked: 12 times
Full Name: Rob Nicholson

Post by robnicholsonmalt »

>so if they have to test three Agents (Windows Server, Windows Workstation, Linux)

Why would it have to be split when the code base is still 99.999% identical? I would put money on there IF or CASE statements already in there for the various flavours of Windows. If it's not been sufficiently tested on Windows server, then don't allow/recommend it to be installed there. Is it even available to beta test?

An update has been carried out to a product. This update has introduced a (relatively) trivial breaking change. It will have taken them six months since the fault could have been fixed. That is not an agile development cycle. If I was personally paying for support, then I'd be most annoyed and rightly so.

Ones decision to install to upgrade Windows 11 is been controlled by Veeam. Tail wagging the dog I'm afraid.

PS. Last patch for Veeam B&R was 10 months ago. It sounds like their development process is locked into very long term cycles.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6702 times

Post by Gostev » 1 person likes this post

It sounds like that only if you ignore the fact that we had cumulative patches for V11 released every 2 months before that. However, no static code needs perma-fixing, and once all top support issues have been addressed there's simply no more reason to release patches (unless a major security issue is found).
RubinCompServ
Service Provider

Post by RubinCompServ » 4 people like this post

robnicholsonmalt wrote: Jan 04, 2023 9:47 am >so if they have to test three Agents (Windows Server, Windows Workstation, Linux)

Why would it have to be split when the code base is still 99.999% identical?
Because, as you said, it's not 100% identical. And once the paths start to diverge, they will only continue to diverge.

robnicholsonmalt wrote: Jan 04, 2023 9:47 am Ones decision to install to upgrade Windows 11 is been controlled by Veeam. Tail wagging the dog I'm afraid.
So you're saying that you don't check the compatibility of all your software before you perform a major OS upgrade? Personally, I prefer to wait until I know that my printer, audio, video, etc will all be supported before I upgrade, and that has literally never been the case on Day 0, going back as far as Windows 98.
Tutek
Enthusiast
Liked: 5 times
Full Name: Wojciech

Post by Tutek »

Any update on this issue, every day we have more and more computers with windows 11 which we can't backup?
micoolpaul
Veeam Vanguard
Liked: 106 times
Full Name: Michael Paul

Post by micoolpaul » 6 people like this post

@Tutek, the v12 launch event is the 14th Feb, would guess we’ll see RTM a week before. So next month you’ll have your fix. But the root cause fix is you need to put in a policy to manage windows’ auto upgrading before all your software is ready. This can be tackled via GPO without any additional expense
-------------
Michael Paul
Veeam Legend | Veeam Certified Architect | Veeam Vanguard
seanbrewer
Novice
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: sean brewer

Post by seanbrewer »

duplicate...oops
seanbrewer
Novice
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: sean brewer

Post by seanbrewer » 2 people like this post

So, to summarize this entire thread and many others like it: Veeam wants more flexibility with update timing and customers expect more timely development.

How about Veeam just drop in and say:
'Hey folks, we're a bit behind because of the war and our normal cadence of patches and updates has really been impacted. Wars have a funny way of getting in the way of product updates. Most of our devs are in Ukraine. We'll get this patched up and ready as soon as we can. Thanks for your understanding. Until then, if you really want to run a beta, you can download it from beta.veeam.com. Thanks.'
Wouldn't that me a much better approach instead of the verbal gymnastics and trying to blame the customer for expecting more frequent updates??

Those in the thread who chest-pounding because they take pride in not stay current with their Windows updates and patch cycle...and want others to follow suit with a policy to BLOCK critical updates bundled in with point upgrades, well, this is not the thread for you. I'm sure your environment will be fine.... ((insert the 'everything is fine meme here...lol))

Also, imma just leave this right here... Microsoft is force-updating users to 22H2 starting.. last week...Is asking for 22H2 to be supported within, say, 30 days of release too much to ask for? How about 60 days? 90? 22H2 was released 132 days ago.
Current status as of January 26, 2023

Today we begin to automatically update consumer and non-managed business devices running Windows 11, version 21H2 Home and Pro editions to Windows 11, version 22H2.
https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/windo ... ws-11-21h2
karsten123
Service Provider
Liked: 82 times
Full Name: Karsten Meja

Post by karsten123 »

unsubscribe thread because people dont get it. ridiculous
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6702 times

Post by Gostev » 10 people like this post

Apologies, this thread should have been locked a while ago, when it first started going south. There's clearly no value from posts like the above one in a technical community, which is what makes you unsubscribe.

Anyone who really wants to know the official Veeam's position and is willing to listen can just read my previous responses. And it's also OK to disagree with our approach of adding support for new platform versions - but it's what it is and there are reasons which I have clearly articulated.

However, this is definitely not a place for flood and conspiracy theories based on some nonsense about our R&D hubs location.

And just to re-emphasize the key point for future readers: everyone should feel free to upgrade your Windows 11 machines to 22H2 as long as you already have the Recovery Media created. Which everyone should have done back when they first installed Veeam Agent for Windows some months/years ago. Other than a Recovery Media creation, there are no issues backing up or restoring Windows 11 22H2.