Agent-based backups for Windows and Linux, centralized agent management
Tutek
Enthusiast
Posts: 70
Liked: 5 times
Joined: Sep 03, 2020 10:32 am
Full Name: Wojciech
Contact:

Windows 11 22H2 not officially supported by Veeam

Post by Tutek »

Hello,
I just created a job to backup Windows 11 22H2 workstation, after rescan I have this warning:
"14.10.2022 13:52:40 :: Microsoft Windows version installed on this machine is not officially supported by Veeam yet"
On destination machine I see that Veeam Installer service and Veeam Agent for Windows ver. 5.0.3.4708 are installed.
But my problem is that Veeam agent is not showing neither on system tray nor on All applications on this PC.
On the path c:\Program Files\Veeam\Endpoint Backup\Veeam.EndPoint.Tray.exe when I try to run this file I have this error: "Unable to complete the action because this backup agent is centrally managed by your system administrator."
My VBR server is the latest version 11.0.11261 P20220302

Mildur
Veeam Software
Posts: 4862
Liked: 1459 times
Joined: May 13, 2017 4:51 pm
Full Name: Fabian K.
Location: Switzerland
Contact:

Re: Windows 11 22H2 not officially supported by Veeam

Post by Mildur » 1 person likes this post

Hi Wojciech

Yes, Support for Windows 11 22H2 will come most likely in VBR V12 and Veeam Agent V6.
Please wait with updating your windows machines until we support it officially.

You can see the supported versions in our user guide:
https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... t-windows-

Thanks
Fabian
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software

Gustav
Enthusiast
Posts: 36
Liked: 40 times
Joined: May 29, 2020 2:12 pm
Full Name: Gustav Brock
Contact:

Re: Windows 11 22H2 not officially supported by Veeam

Post by Gustav »

But Fabian, something is wrong here, as you get the same warning:
Warning Microsoft Windows 11 (Next, 64-bit, Technical Preview)
Backup agent installation is not required
Microsoft Windows version installed on this machine is not officially supported by Veeam yet
even under Windows 10:
Windows 10 Pro
Version 22H2
Build 19045.2130
Microsoft encourages users to update Windows 10 at any time, and you can't expect users to refrain from current updates, indeed as you do support Windows 11, though not the latest 22H2 which can make sense, as this is not yet widespread.

Mildur
Veeam Software
Posts: 4862
Liked: 1459 times
Joined: May 13, 2017 4:51 pm
Full Name: Fabian K.
Location: Switzerland
Contact:

Re: Windows 11 22H2 not officially supported by Veeam

Post by Mildur » 2 people like this post

Yes, also not supported.
https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/agent ... tml?ver=50
Microsoft Windows 10 Semi-Annual Channel (from version 1803 up to version 21H2)
I believe you don‘t have to upgrade on day one.
Microsoft supports the older 21H2 for at least another few months.

Update:
Just checked. You have to upgrade 21H1 before June 2023. So it is safe to wait for veeam to support the new version most likely in VAW v6 in the beginning of 2023.
https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/lifec ... me-and-pro
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software

mattmcg
Influencer
Posts: 10
Liked: 1 time
Joined: Mar 02, 2017 8:50 am
Full Name: Matthew McAtamney-Greenwood
Contact:

Re: Windows 11 22H2 not officially supported by Veeam

Post by mattmcg » 1 person likes this post

Not sure if this is related, but I am seeing warnings with the error that "Backup agent installation is not requiredMicrosoft Windows version installed on this machine is not officially supported by Veeam yet". The detected OS is "Microsoft Windows 11 (Next, 64-bit, Technical Preview)". But my issue is that I DON'T have windows 11 on any machine. All my devices are windows 11 and all windows updates are managed by our in-house System Center instance (which delays all feature updates for 90 days).

Not sure why the wrong OS is detected. Wondering if I have missed something. Ideally we do not have any staff to manage this day-to-day and as such we configured as much automation as possible. Now we are getting warnings that are technically wrong. Was looking to open a case about this, but thought I would check here first.

Mildur
Veeam Software
Posts: 4862
Liked: 1459 times
Joined: May 13, 2017 4:51 pm
Full Name: Fabian K.
Location: Switzerland
Contact:

Re: Windows 11 22H2 not officially supported by Veeam

Post by Mildur »

Hi Matt
All my devices are windows 11 and all windows updates are managed by our in-house System Center instance (which delays all feature updates for 90 days).
I assume, you mean windows 10?

Please contact our support team if you think something is wrong.
We cannot effectively analyse such detection issues via the forum.

Thanks
Fabian
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software

bytewiseits
Service Provider
Posts: 48
Liked: 25 times
Joined: Nov 23, 2018 12:23 am
Full Name: Dion Norman
Contact:

Re: Windows 11 22H2 not officially supported by Veeam

Post by bytewiseits » 1 person likes this post

The current Veeam Agent for Windows detects the Windows 10 22H2 update incorrectly as 'Microsoft Windows 11 (Next, 64-bit, Technical Preview)'. It must think because it is newer than what it knows it must be a Windows 11 preview version etc.

We really need a quicker support cycle from Veeam for these Windows 10 and Windows 11 updates as customers are using these versions now - they don't wait months and months to apply these patches. Upgrades from Windows 10 to Windows 11 go straight to Windows 11 22H2 and even some new PCs are now out of the box with Win11 22H2.

Customers just can't keep waiting months and months for the next major Veeam version to be released (ie V12). Some sort of faster interim releases are needed here to keep up to date with what the world is actually using right now.

karsten123
Service Provider
Posts: 178
Liked: 41 times
Joined: Apr 03, 2019 6:53 am
Full Name: Karsten Meja
Contact:

Re: Windows 11 22H2 not officially supported by Veeam

Post by karsten123 » 1 person likes this post

Yes and no.
Use LTSC and SCCM or min. WSUS to control updates/ upgrades.
And for out of the box machines: downgrade

But i tell you a secret: we have these customers, too ;)

g-rant001
Influencer
Posts: 14
Liked: 4 times
Joined: Jan 09, 2020 2:00 am
Contact:

Re: Windows 11 22H2 not officially supported by Veeam

Post by g-rant001 » 2 people like this post

Did you seriously say not to update a major version of an operating system yet? That is NOT your place or veeam's place to make that statement. Your job is to backup.

I'm getting the same message but backups are running. this happened with Windows 10 and Veeam needs to get ahead of the game. This is the process with Windows moving forward and there is no need for these errors.

Status Operating System Details
Warning Microsoft Windows 11 (Next, 64-bit, Technical Preview) Backup agent installation is not required Microsoft Windows version installed on this machine is not officially supported by Veeam yet
Mildur wrote: Oct 14, 2022 12:36 pm Hi Wojciech

Yes, Support for Windows 11 22H2 will come most likely in VBR V12 and Veeam Agent V6.
Please wait with updating your windows machines until we support it officially.

You can see the supported versions in our user guide:
https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... t-windows-

Thanks
Fabian

micoolpaul
Veeam Vanguard
Posts: 166
Liked: 94 times
Joined: Jun 29, 2015 9:21 am
Full Name: Michael Paul
Contact:

Re: Windows 11 22H2 not officially supported by Veeam

Post by micoolpaul » 5 people like this post

Hi g-rant001,

You're correct that Veeam's job is to backup. And it still attempts to backup any of these new Windows builds that hasn't gone through QA. Just like with VMware, until the build has reached RTM, the QA process can't begin. We see ReFS drivers break in monthly updates, so what hope do Veeam have predicting what will break if they tried to QA the insider builds. Having seen the insider build bug submissions, everything feels like it breaks on a frequent basis, so they need to focus on RTM.

If you're happy that Veeam is processing as is, then there isn't a problem. But my advice that you can choose to take or leave is:

Use policies to control this. Whether via GPO, an RMM solution, or Intune.

Devil's advocate moment here, if you've selected Veeam as your data protection solution, and you know that Veeam's goal is to support new operating systems within 90 days of release, and that Windows support their feature updates for 18 months, why not put in a policy to delay by 6 months for the new feature update? My head would've rolled if I allowed all devices to patch on whichever lifecycle they chose, especially with the history of breaking changes these feature updates have released in the past (remember 1607 breaking nearly all webcams?). There should be a process of testing within your environment for these new builds, making sure all applications and policies work before release.

Veeam aren't the only data protection vendor making these decisions, you would be furious if Veeam claimed day 1 support and all subsequent backups didn't function because of a lack of QA. It's not just data protection either, anti-virus solutions need to confirm compatibility and it's not uncommon with the traditional on-premises AV management systems to have to ensure your endpoints are on newer updates before they can support the feature updates.
-------------
Michael Paul
Veeam Legend | Veeam Certified Architect | Veeam Vanguard

bytewiseits
Service Provider
Posts: 48
Liked: 25 times
Joined: Nov 23, 2018 12:23 am
Full Name: Dion Norman
Contact:

Re: Windows 11 22H2 not officially supported by Veeam

Post by bytewiseits » 1 person likes this post

For larger and enterprise customers LTSC/WSUS/SCCM/Intune makes perfect sense, and when an admin team are using Veeam in-house they can make sure to roll out updates in a regulated manner. These tools however are just not present in many small businesses and we don't have control over this side of things where we only provide backup services. Do we wish these tools were in place? Of course, but it just isn't reality for us unfortunately.

Something we are also starting to see more of are customers that also have cyber insurance policies which (stupidly) mandate that they must install all available updates within a week or two of release to remain covered and also MFA on everything (which is the very reason V12 is incorporating it into the console). If you tell one of these customer's that they cannot install an update from Microsoft for months due to the backup it does not always go down too well. (some understand, some don't, and many caught between these two issues)

Would never expect Veeam to come out with day 1 support of new OS's, however why could it not be reasonable to aim for updated support within 30 days? Many other providers have already gone through their validation procedures and released updates where needed so it is possible.

micoolpaul
Veeam Vanguard
Posts: 166
Liked: 94 times
Joined: Jun 29, 2015 9:21 am
Full Name: Michael Paul
Contact:

Re: Windows 11 22H2 not officially supported by Veeam

Post by micoolpaul » 2 people like this post

Hi Dion,

Understand completely, having been on that side of the conversation in the past, I would suggest for those that you manage but the customers don't have LTSC/WSUS/SCCM/Intune, to use GPOs to control the feature updates deployment timescales where possible.

Where others don't, as you're not managing the endpoints, sounds like a contractual agreement to get the business to await support before upgrading, most software vendors do this. Thankfully RE your point regarding updates and installation, the feature updates don't count towards this (based on conversations I've had with experienced reviewers, though always worth getting in writing before an event occurs...). Feature Updates are just branches of Win 10 / 11, you're not asked to install Windows 11 because it came out, or Windows Server 2022 because it came out, it matters that the branch you're using is up to date and supported, of which a 180 day delay in installing a feature update won't cause problems with.

As a user I'll of course echo what you've said that support ASAP is always the goal, and I'm sure Veeam would always say it's the goal, but we also need to accept that they've not got limitless QA resources, and requesting sooner support for new OS's puts it at odds with the other lively thread on here of supporting legacy OS's far past their expiration date.
-------------
Michael Paul
Veeam Legend | Veeam Certified Architect | Veeam Vanguard

Dima P.
Product Manager
Posts: 13740
Liked: 1391 times
Joined: Feb 04, 2013 2:07 pm
Full Name: Dmitry Popov
Location: Prague
Contact:

Re: Windows 11 22H2 not officially supported by Veeam

Post by Dima P. » 3 people like this post

Hello folks,

Thank you for your honest feedback, we will discuss with the RnD folks possible improvements in this area. The confirmed situation with Windows 11 22H2 support is:

- backup jobs work without any issues
- restore activities work without any issues
- recovery media creation from Windows 11 22H2 does not work (well it works, but RE does not boot due to Microsoft update of the Windows RE libraries). As a workaround please use recovery media from previous builds of W11, incase you need to perform BMR

Full support for Windows 11 22H2 will be provided with the upcoming Veeam B&R v12 / Veeam Agent for Windows v6.

karsten123
Service Provider
Posts: 178
Liked: 41 times
Joined: Apr 03, 2019 6:53 am
Full Name: Karsten Meja
Contact:

Re: Windows 11 22H2 not officially supported by Veeam

Post by karsten123 »

Hi Dmitry,

same for Windows 10 22H2?

Dima P.
Product Manager
Posts: 13740
Liked: 1391 times
Joined: Feb 04, 2013 2:07 pm
Full Name: Dmitry Popov
Location: Prague
Contact:

Re: Windows 11 22H2 not officially supported by Veeam

Post by Dima P. » 3 people like this post

Karsten,

Per our QA team recovery media issue hits Windows 11 22H2 but does not affect Windows 10 22H2. Windows 10 22H2 systems will throw a warning in the Rescan sessions and OS type might not be displayed correctly in the UI, but the rest of functionality should work without any issues. Thank you!

karsten123
Service Provider
Posts: 178
Liked: 41 times
Joined: Apr 03, 2019 6:53 am
Full Name: Karsten Meja
Contact:

Re: Windows 11 22H2 not officially supported by Veeam

Post by karsten123 » 1 person likes this post

Thank you Dmitry.
That is a very usefull information.

paul
Influencer
Posts: 14
Liked: 19 times
Joined: Jan 01, 2006 1:01 am
Contact:

Re: Windows 11 22H2 not officially supported by Veeam

Post by paul » 6 people like this post

g-rant001 wrote: Nov 10, 2022 1:11 pmYour job is to backup.
However, it is your job as a backup admin to follow the system requirements of your chosen backup software, and don't install optional major OS updates the moment they are out. Especially when to date, I don't remember a single feature update for Windows 10 or Windows 11 that did not break something...

albertwt
Veeam Legend
Posts: 816
Liked: 38 times
Joined: Nov 05, 2009 12:24 pm
Location: Sydney, NSW
Contact:

Re: Windows 11 22H2 not officially supported by Veeam

Post by albertwt » 1 person likes this post

Dima P. wrote: Nov 14, 2022 10:02 pm Hello folks,

Thank you for your honest feedback, we will discuss with the RnD folks possible improvements in this area. The confirmed situation with Windows 11 22H2 support is:

- backup jobs work without any issues
- restore activities work without any issues
- recovery media creation from Windows 11 22H2 does not work (well it works, but RE does not boot due to Microsoft update of the Windows RE libraries). As a workaround please use recovery media from previous builds of W11, incase you need to perform BMR

Full support for Windows 11 22H2 will be provided with the upcoming Veeam B&R v12 / Veeam Agent for Windows v6.
Yes, it is only a matter of time to fully support the version :-)

Thank you Dima for the update.
--
/* Veeam software enthusiast user & supporter ! */

robnicholsonmalt
Enthusiast
Posts: 81
Liked: 7 times
Joined: Dec 21, 2018 11:42 am
Full Name: Rob Nicholson
Contact:

Re: Windows 11 22H2 not officially supported by Veeam

Post by robnicholsonmalt » 1 person likes this post

paul wrote: Nov 16, 2022 1:37 pm However, it is your job as a backup admin to follow the system requirements of your chosen backup software, and don't install optional major OS updates the moment they are out. Especially when to date, I don't remember a single feature update for Windows 10 or Windows 11 that did not break something...
That's a different discussion - Veeam, as the leader in this quadrant, should be ahead of the curve re OS support. Not like it's a surprise that 22H2 was coming out - it's been on the insider program for four months.

micoolpaul
Veeam Vanguard
Posts: 166
Liked: 94 times
Joined: Jun 29, 2015 9:21 am
Full Name: Michael Paul
Contact:

Re: Windows 11 22H2 not officially supported by Veeam

Post by micoolpaul » 4 people like this post

We're running the risk of becoming a circular argument at this point Rob, as they gained their position of leader due to their rock solid reliability and stable releases, not on being first to market with new release support.

To repeat my previous point in response to your comment of insider builds "Just like with VMware, until the build has reached RTM, the QA process can't begin. We see ReFS drivers break in monthly updates, so what hope do Veeam have predicting what will break if they tried to QA the insider builds. Having seen the insider build bug submissions, everything feels like it breaks on a frequent basis, so they need to focus on RTM.". To clarify further on my point of the QA process not being able to begin until RTM is reached, I mean that they can test all of the Insider Builds, but those builds very rarely become the final releases, with various code branches being merged in different builds it's unpredictatble if a new build changes fonts or low-level functionality, therefore whilst not completely pointless to be continuously testing for regressions, Veeam are being smarter with their QA process by giving a full QA cycle to a new release once available for issues, then declaring support.
-------------
Michael Paul
Veeam Legend | Veeam Certified Architect | Veeam Vanguard

g-rant001
Influencer
Posts: 14
Liked: 4 times
Joined: Jan 09, 2020 2:00 am
Contact:

Re: Windows 11 22H2 not officially supported by Veeam

Post by g-rant001 »

robnicholsonmalt wrote: Nov 21, 2022 11:00 am That's a different discussion - Veeam, as the leader in this quadrant, should be ahead of the curve re OS support. Not like it's a surprise that 22H2 was coming out - it's been on the insider program for four months.
Correct, that is the point. The fact that people like Paul want to let this slide is silly, Veeam isn't a free product. 22H2 wasn't going away and there are usually two of these per year. SO be more prepared. Veeam for VM's is not the issue. This product is more designed around VM's. Why anyone cares about restoring an entire computer from scratch these days seems a little dated. I want the same backup software to backup the entire hard drive REGARDLESS of the OS.

robnicholsonmalt
Enthusiast
Posts: 81
Liked: 7 times
Joined: Dec 21, 2018 11:42 am
Full Name: Rob Nicholson
Contact:

Re: Windows 11 22H2 not officially supported by Veeam

Post by robnicholsonmalt »

Microsoft, for better or worse, has moved to a much more frequent update cycle. Many software vendors now follow this model. As for rock stability, we use M365 backup so I might disagree with that sentiment. Simply not very agile.

ian.watts
Lurker
Posts: 2
Liked: never
Joined: Dec 09, 2021 7:03 pm
Contact:

Re: Windows 11 22H2 not officially supported by Veeam

Post by ian.watts »

Whether they are the market leader because of their rock solid reliability and solid releases is not relevant when the issue at hand is to keep current with the currently released operating systems. Microsoft is quite communicative about the release schedules, and previews have always been available for months ahead of those releases.

It comes down to a simple argument I have with my vendors like Veeam. Keep up or we'll find somebody else who does. We can all argue reasons in favor of not being "the first" to upgrade or update.. but the fact remains that new machines are coming off of the shelves with 22H2 already installed.. Veeam needs to keep up if they want to remain competitive in this market.

MGT1981
Enthusiast
Posts: 28
Liked: 4 times
Joined: Nov 21, 2014 12:30 am
Contact:

Re: Windows 11 22H2 not officially supported by Veeam

Post by MGT1981 » 1 person likes this post

bytewiseits wrote: Nov 10, 2022 11:44 pm For larger and enterprise customers LTSC/WSUS/SCCM/Intune makes perfect sense, and when an admin team are using Veeam in-house they can make sure to roll out updates in a regulated manner. These tools however are just not present in many small businesses and we don't have control over this side of things where we only provide backup services. Do we wish these tools were in place? Of course, but it just isn't reality for us unfortunately.

Something we are also starting to see more of are customers that also have cyber insurance policies which (stupidly) mandate that they must install all available updates within a week or two of release to remain covered and also MFA on everything (which is the very reason V12 is incorporating it into the console). If you tell one of these customer's that they cannot install an update from Microsoft for months due to the backup it does not always go down too well. (some understand, some don't, and many caught between these two issues)

Would never expect Veeam to come out with day 1 support of new OS's, however why could it not be reasonable to aim for updated support within 30 days? Many other providers have already gone through their validation procedures and released updates where needed so it is possible.

So personally i have never heard of a cyber insurance policy mandating anything except for security related updates. I am not saying it does not happen, I am simply saying that I see these policies every day and i have not once seen one that says you have to be on the latest feature update to be in compliance. If that were the case then everyone would have to be on Windows 11.

AlexLeadingEdge
Expert
Posts: 437
Liked: 56 times
Joined: Dec 14, 2015 9:42 pm
Contact:

Re: Windows 11 22H2 not officially supported by Veeam

Post by AlexLeadingEdge » 1 person likes this post

We haven't approved or denied the upgrade to Windows 10 22H2, but just running the numbers 68.0% of our Windows 10 workstations have upgraded themselves to 22H2.

Gostev
SVP, Product Management
Posts: 30136
Liked: 6023 times
Joined: Jan 01, 2006 1:01 am
Location: Baar, Switzerland
Contact:

Re: Windows 11 22H2 not officially supported by Veeam

Post by Gostev » 16 people like this post

ian.watts wrote: Nov 21, 2022 4:04 pmIt comes down to a simple argument I have with my vendors like Veeam. Keep up or we'll find somebody else who does. We can all argue reasons in favor of not being "the first" to upgrade or update.. but the fact remains that new machines are coming off of the shelves with 22H2 already installed. Veeam needs to keep up if they want to remain competitive in this market.
I don't know about your other vendors, but Veeam has always been extremely transparent about our 90 days target for new releases support, for the entire time we existed. I do appreciate that this may not be suitable for folks for whom timely support of certain specific platforms (like Windows 11) is a deal breaker, and that they may move on to some specialized software as a result. That's fine because we (Veeam) are also not in business of backing up some specific workloads only.

Instead, as an enterprise backup software, we support many hundreds of different platforms and their different major versions across all the storage devices, hypervisors, OS and enterprise applications. So the reality is that every day, and this is quite literally speaking, a new version or a major update of some firmware, OS or app comes out. As such, it is physically impossible for us to provide instant support for any given OS or app... as we would need to be doing nothing but patches every day to achieve this, which would take too much resources due to the regression testing overhead of every patch release.

Now, multiply that by testing all the early builds across those months-long insider programs, and fixing random breakdowns to ensure support of those early builds (as someone above seriously suggested we should really be doing), and it should become crystal clear that even 10x bigger R&D team than what we have now would not be enough. While I doubt many people here would stomach even 2x license price increase to at least partly cover these extra costs...

And this is exactly why instead, we use this notion of periodic "release vehicles" where everything that happened recently goes into. This is how we operate and again, we've always been very transparent about this. There's nothing to be shy about, as we believe this strategy strikes the perfect balance of new versions support costs and the time to market. And while this may not work for everyone, sure enough it works for most, or otherwise we would not go from zero to the market leader with 1.3B annual software-only revenue... so I really don't see why we need to change our approaches all of a sudden "to remain competitive in this market"?

bytewiseits
Service Provider
Posts: 48
Liked: 25 times
Joined: Nov 23, 2018 12:23 am
Full Name: Dion Norman
Contact:

Re: Windows 11 22H2 not officially supported by Veeam

Post by bytewiseits » 2 people like this post

MGT1981 wrote: Nov 21, 2022 6:24 pm So personally i have never heard of a cyber insurance policy mandating anything except for security related updates. I am not saying it does not happen, I am simply saying that I see these policies every day and i have not once seen one that says you have to be on the latest feature update to be in compliance. If that were the case then everyone would have to be on Windows 11.
We find its not usually the policy document itself (which is usually just security updates as you mentioned), but the insurance broker/auditors selling the policy that misinterpret or do not understand the difference in the update types and convey the wrong info to the customer (must install all updates etc). Usually it can be explained/reasoned but highly depends on the person at the time.

As Dmitry confirmed earlier (thankyou), backups should continue working with Win10/Win11 22H2 (bar the recovery creation) which is really the main thing that we needed to know for now whilst waiting for official support down the track.

Moopere
Enthusiast
Posts: 63
Liked: 7 times
Joined: Jul 06, 2018 3:44 am
Full Name: Moopere
Contact:

Re: Windows 11 22H2 not officially supported by Veeam

Post by Moopere » 2 people like this post

ian.watts wrote: Nov 21, 2022 4:04 pm Whether they are the market leader because of their rock solid reliability and solid releases is not relevant when the issue at hand is to keep current with the currently released operating systems. Microsoft is quite communicative about the release schedules, and previews have always been available for months ahead of those releases.

It comes down to a simple argument I have with my vendors like Veeam. Keep up or we'll find somebody else who does. We can all argue reasons in favor of not being "the first" to upgrade or update.. but the fact remains that new machines are coming off of the shelves with 22H2 already installed.. Veeam needs to keep up if they want to remain competitive in this market.
You have your own SOP's so take my comments as generalised, not pointed directly at you.

I don't have dealings with any enterprises that are larger than Mum and Dad at home in the garage who use systems as they are delivered. The hardware vendors can ship anything they like, whatever OS is on the machines upon delivery will be blown away in favour of an enterprise wide SOE which will _never_ be the latest OS version. Line of business apps break when MS (and others) fiddle around - its a known and massive risk.

Noting Gostev's comments above, the same idea holds true for IT Administration. With OS's across all devices as well as applications being updated daily, how on earth can an enterprise expect to plug in to that chaos and come out the other side with a cohesive and functional platform for their businesses to actually do business?

If a customer, or potential customer of mine is wanting this level of interaction with their IT from me its not going to be a good fit and rather than searching for a unicorn development company who thinks they can 'keep up' I'll let the customer go - because there is nothing but a world of pain for everyone, customer included, to even attempt to go down that particular road.

GabesVirtualWorld
Expert
Posts: 229
Liked: 35 times
Joined: Jun 15, 2009 10:49 am
Full Name: Gabrie van Zanten
Contact:

Re: Windows 11 22H2 not officially supported by Veeam

Post by GabesVirtualWorld » 16 people like this post

ian.watts wrote: Nov 21, 2022 4:04 pm Whether they are the market leader because of their rock solid reliability and solid releases is not relevant when the issue at hand is to keep current with the currently released operating systems. Microsoft is quite communicative about the release schedules, and previews have always been available for months ahead of those releases.

It comes down to a simple argument I have with my vendors like Veeam. Keep up or we'll find somebody else who does. We can all argue reasons in favor of not being "the first" to upgrade or update.. but the fact remains that new machines are coming off of the shelves with 22H2 already installed.. Veeam needs to keep up if they want to remain competitive in this market.
Wow, wish I could afford such a statement.... Waiting to upgrade to vCenter and ESXi 8 in our datacenter. But before we can we have to wait for:
- VEEAM to support vSphere 8
- Citrix MCS to support vSphere 8
- Citrix Netscalers to support vSphere 8
- VMware Horizon to support vSphere 8
- In-house dataware house for billing that reads from vCenter to support vSphere 8
- EMC Recover Point for VMs to support vSphere 8 (this will usually the last one to confirm support)
- Cloud Director to support vSphere 8
- VMware NSX to support vSphere 8
- UCS drivers and blade support for vSphere 8.

Think you really need to get grip on your environment. Speak to management on how it just can't be expected from you to manage the latest and greatest from day 1. Explain management what the impact is of NOT having a proper way to manage all those end-points so they might come up with some funding to get a proper system.

ITP-Stan
Service Provider
Posts: 156
Liked: 41 times
Joined: Feb 18, 2013 10:45 am
Full Name: Stan (IF-IT4U)
Contact:

Re: Windows 11 22H2 not officially supported by Veeam

Post by ITP-Stan » 3 people like this post

People seem to forget about the SMB market, where the small companies just buy a computer and use the OS that is pre-installed by the factory.
You know, those companies that are small and do not have their own IT department.

Server OS and hypervisor, that's a different story. No way I'm jumping to ESXi v8 already.

Locked

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests