Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
Fetakungen
Novice
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Anton Palmgard

3 Veeam Servers, 1 Tape Device.

Post by Fetakungen »

Hi, my company run 3 different veeam servers. Which are separated for various reason. But summary is Clients(Cloud Connect),Hosted Client Enviroments,and internal.

Now we only have 1 tape device and from what i can tell only 1 server can be the owner of the Tape Device. Is it possible to use the same Tape device with all 3 Veeam Servers ?

BR
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: 3 Veeam Servers, 1 Tape Device.

Post by Dima P. »

Hello Anton,

Does this tape device support library partitioning?
Fetakungen
Novice

Post by Fetakungen »

It's a HP MSL G3 6.30 with 2 drives.

So yes into 2 virtual libraries. But i take that as a no for the question (3 servers) and assume max 2 is possible with this setup ?
Regnor
Veeam Software
Liked: 287 times
Full Name: Max

Post by Regnor »

Besides partitioning you would also need to have a second tape server as you can't share those between backup servers.
If you import the backups to the backup server which is connected to the library you could create tape jobs there and point those to 3 different media pool.
Fetakungen
Novice

Post by Fetakungen »

Hi , Regnor. That was my first try to solved it but even though it shows all the imported backups in the veeam console. It will only backup it's own jobs even when the source is the repository hosting all of the backups. My last resort it to backup File -> Tape but that's something i want to avoid to save storage.
Regnor
Veeam Software
Liked: 287 times
Full Name: Max

Post by Regnor » 1 person likes this post

That's true only File to Tape will work with imported backups.
Depending on how your backup jobs are configured you'll have to use scripting for the file selection inside the tape jobs.
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

Yes, partitioning will help you to run two Veeam B&R servers independently.
second tape server as you can't share those between backup servers.
Veeam B&R can act as a tape server itself, so dedicated tape server is not required, but recommended.
kewnev
Enthusiast
Liked: 22 times
Full Name: Nev

[MERGED] Multiple backup jobs/types to a tape

Post by kewnev »

Hello,

I have a client that has two VMware servers at different sites (these sites are connected via branch-office VPN). Each site also has its own Veeam B&R server.
Each Veeam server also does a copy backup to the other Veeam server over the VPN link. Hence each Veeam server has a repository folder for its local VMware server backups, and also another folder with backup from the other site sent over the WAN VPN.

My question is: If I were to attach a tape drive to one of the servers, would it be possible to back up both its local VMware files and the ones sent over from the other site using Backup to Tape (rather than File to Tape), so I can have the more granular restore capability for both sets of back ups?
I assume that by default it wouldn't work because the backups from the remote veeam server will not be visible within the local veeam server configuration.. ??

Many Thanks,
Nev
DGrinev
Veteran
Liked: 247 times
Full Name: Dmitry Grinev

Re: Multiple backup jobs/types to a tape

Post by DGrinev »

Hi Nev,

You cannot use remote backups since they aren't visible in the local instance of VBR.
There is a workaround which is described in this thread above.

Thanks!