Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
peters.
Influencer
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Peter S

Advice for a new setup

Post by peters. »

Hello,

we are planning to migrate our current Veeam B&R server from VM to a new HW server. It will be a single-server installation (all Veeam components there).
The server will have local disks used as a repository. The backups should be then copied to a tape library, which we didn't have so far. A copy of backups is also saved to a hardened Linux repository. Main aim is to have a protection against ransomware.
Backups stored on current NAS repository use about 6 TB.
Would you advice to change anything in this HW configuration?

16 GB RAM
8-core CPU
6x 2,4 TB SAS drives
HPE MSL 1/8 G2 with LTO8 tapes
Win2019

The server will be running also the Veeam backup for Office365. I'm unsure, whether the 16 GB is enough or should be rather increased to 24 GB.
Also which RAID would you recommend? With Raid6 there should be about 9,8 TB, so we have some reserve.

Best regards
Peter
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: Advice for a new setup

Post by Dima P. »

Hello Peter,

From Veeam B&R system requirements:

VBR:
Memory: 4 GB RAM plus 500 MB RAM for each enabled job
VBR Console:
Memory: 2 GB RAM
Backup Proxy:
Memory: 2 GB RAM plus 200 MB for each concurrent task.
Backup Repository:
Memory: 4 GB RAM (64-bit OS) for each concurrently processed machine or file share.
Tape Proxy:
Memory: 2 GB RAM plus 200MB for each concurrent task. Depending on the source of tape jobs, different entities are considered tasks: for machine backup to tape, a task covers a source job or a source chain if tape paralleling is enabled; for file backup to tape, a task covers an entire server or a file share. Restoring VMs directly from tape requires 400MB of RAM per 1TB of virtual disk size. Additionally (for file to tape jobs processing more than 1,000,000 files):
That's just 14GBs of RAM for simple setup without counting multiple jobs. I'd rather go with 32GB out of the box.
Also which RAID would you recommend?
I say any RAID that provides data redundancy :wink:
karsten123
Service Provider
Liked: 82 times
Full Name: Karsten Meja

Re: Advice for a new setup

Post by karsten123 »

Hi Peter,
that seems way too less of everything. But it depends how your backup concept looks like in detail. I do not recommend to install VBO on the same as VBR. In fact, you are highly advised to get a experienced Veeam partner to size that for you.
Greets
Karsten