Amazon AWS VTL Gateway

Everything about backing up to tape

Re: Amazon AWS VTL Gateway

Veeam Logoby Dima P. » Mon Dec 23, 2013 3:05 pm

Geoff,
Hopefully, we should be able to support Amazon VTL gateway in the upcoming release, but this is not 100% sure - will update this thread with the results.
Dima P.
Veeam Software

Liked: 454 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Veeam Logoby anthonynz » Fri Jan 31, 2014 3:20 am

Looking forward to support for the AWS VTL media changer. I have it appearing in Backup Exec 2012, but we're very very motivated to getting rid of that and replacing it with Veeam.

I'm going to attempt a duplicate to the AWS VTL tonight with BE2012, ironically it's a copy of a Veeam backup :D
anthonynz
Novice

Liked: never
Full Name: Anthony

Veeam Logoby anthonynz » Sun Feb 02, 2014 10:05 pm

Well it looks like using Backup Exec to handle the AWS VTL is not an option. It identifies the Media changer and the tape drives, but as separate objects, and it doesn't list the media loaded in the library.

Back to waiting for the next release of Veeam to come to the rescue. What's the ETA?
anthonynz
Novice

Veeam Logoby v.Eremin » Mon Feb 03, 2014 10:10 am

Hi, Anthony,

The recent community weekly digest has had this information:

Gostev wrote:Very excited, and we at Veeam R&D are looking forward to putting the goods into your hands this summer.

Thanks.
v.Eremin
Veeam Software

Liked: 1007 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Veeam Logoby foggy » Mon Feb 03, 2014 10:18 am

However there's still no 100% certainty in whether this functionality will be included in it.
foggy
Veeam Software

Liked: 1111 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Veeam Logoby petri.jeskanen » Fri Feb 07, 2014 7:06 am

WTB - AWS VTL support! :)
petri.jeskanen
Lurker

Full Name: Petri Jeskanen

Veeam Logoby v.Eremin » Fri Feb 07, 2014 8:14 am

We're currently looking into it. So, thank you for the feedback. Your voice is counted. :D
v.Eremin
Veeam Software

Liked: 1007 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Veeam Logoby petri.jeskanen » Wed Jun 11, 2014 7:05 am

Any news on this one?
petri.jeskanen
Lurker

Full Name: Petri Jeskanen

Veeam Logoby Dima P. » Wed Jun 11, 2014 10:03 am

Hello Petri,
Unfortunately no, still in progress.
Dima P.
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby Meyercord » Thu Aug 21, 2014 4:58 pm

We are trying to implement this as well and having no luck. Any update would be helpful
Meyercord
Enthusiast

Liked: 6 times
Full Name: AJ Meyercord

Veeam Logoby Dima P. » Fri Aug 22, 2014 10:45 am

Hello guys,
Short update thanks to Amazon team we got in touch and they started to work on bringing Veeam support in Amazon VTL Gateway. Currently there is no way in making our tape functionality work with the VLT but we are awaiting for changes on the Amazon end, but hopefully this going to change soon. There is no ETA, though.
Dima P.
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby anthonynz » Sun Aug 24, 2014 10:05 pm

That's unfortunate, we have to wait even longer, and "started to work on" is a long way off from the suggestions at the start of the year that it was an impending feature. :?

December: “hopefully in the upcoming release...”
February : “looking forward to putting the goods in your hands this summer”

I know these were simply indications of when it may be available, but now you're saying it wasn't even being worked on... you'll have to rebrand as Microsoft if you keep up that marketing technique.
anthonynz
Novice

Veeam Logoby Dima P. » Mon Aug 25, 2014 10:37 am

Anthony,

I am sorry that I upset you with the last post but as I noted before the enhancements are currently in progress, and all the development and testing is taking place on Amazon end. There is nothing Veeam team can do to speed up the process. I am confident in Amazon team doing their best to include Veeam B&R in the list of supported vendors for Amazon VTL Gateway as soon as possible.
Dima P.
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby Gostev » Thu Sep 04, 2014 11:43 pm

anthonynz wrote:I know these were simply indications of when it may be available, but now you're saying it wasn't even being worked on

Please understand that we do not control Amazon R&D, and thus we cannot really tell them what to do, and what fixes to prioritize. It took us months to even get them to merely start responding on this issue...

Also, if you scroll up just a few posts to a February statement you are quoting, you will see that we were not certain this feature will make it into the summer release. We knew that the timelines are completely unpredictable here, because we have no control over Amazon R&D.
Gostev
Veeam Software

Liked: 2383 times

Veeam Logoby Dima P. » Wed Nov 05, 2014 12:27 pm 2 people like this post

Dear all,
Official announcement from Amazon team: Announcing support for Veeam and Microsoft backup applications

Amazon is bringing Veeam tape support for Gateway VTL configuration in the new Gateway VTL release. Upcoming Veeam B&R v8 is supported; bonus - existing Veeam B&R v7 p4 is supported.

Once the VTL is deployed, and IP address or DNS name of the appliance added to the Discover Target Portal at iSCSI initiator, you must manually change the default Unknown Medium Changer to Sony - TSL-A500C Autoloader driver. Here is a short instruction how to manually swap existing drivers:

- Open Device Manager on your Windows server, and expand the Medium Changer devices tree.
- Right-click Unknown Medium Changer, and click Update Driver Software to open the Update Driver Software-unknown Medium Changer window.
- In the How do you want to search for driver software? section, click Browse my computer for driver software.
- Click Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer.
- In the Select the device driver you want to install for this hardware section, click to uncheck the Show compatible hardware check box, click Sony in the Manufacturer list, click Sony - TSL-A500C Autoloader in the Model list, and then click Next.
- In the warning box that appears, click Yes. If the driver is successfully installed, close the Update drive software window.

Thank you.
Dima P.
Veeam Software

PreviousNext

Return to Tape