Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
CoffeeCup
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: Luba

Archiving tapes on AWS VTL

Post by CoffeeCup »

Hello,

We are in the process of setting up the offsite backup to AWS for two of our VMs. According to the policy we have to keep weekly backups for a year – the one (the latest) will be active (hosted on S3) while all previous ones will be archived (moved to Glacier).
I’m planning to use AWS VTL for this scenario (each virtual tapes would hold hold one weekly backup) but wonder if Veeam be able to archive the tapes automatically? According to the AWS documentation from here http://docs.aws.amazon.com/storagegatew ... Veeam.html it’s a manual process but I wonder if it could be set up through the Media Pool policy.

Is there more efficient way to set up offsite backup to AWS other then VTL to implement this scenario? Unfortunately CloudConnect is not currently the option.

Thank you very much,
infused
Service Provider
Liked: 13 times
Full Name: Hayden Kirk

Re: Archiving tapes on AWS VTL

Post by infused »

I think it's automatic if you vault it as part of the media pool. I'm testing this myself.
infused
Service Provider

Post by infused »

CoffeeCup wrote:Hello,

We are in the process of setting up the offsite backup to AWS for two of our VMs. According to the policy we have to keep weekly backups for a year – the one (the latest) will be active (hosted on S3) while all previous ones will be archived (moved to Glacier).
I’m planning to use AWS VTL for this scenario (each virtual tapes would hold hold one weekly backup) but wonder if Veeam be able to archive the tapes automatically? According to the AWS documentation from here http://docs.aws.amazon.com/storagegatew ... Veeam.html it’s a manual process but I wonder if it could be set up through the Media Pool policy.

Is there more efficient way to set up offsite backup to AWS other then VTL to implement this scenario? Unfortunately CloudConnect is not currently the option.

Thank you very much,
My comment before was correct. I've just written a guide on it now http://www.tecfused.com/2017/07/veeam-a ... ary-guide/
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

According to the AWS documentation from here http://docs.aws.amazon.com/storagegatew ... Veeam.html it’s a manual process but I wonder if it could be set up through the Media Pool policy.
You can perform export (as a pat of backup to tape job) and move such tape to vault named AWS. If you want to shelf such tapes at amazon side this should be performed manually via Amazon console.
infused
Service Provider

Post by infused »

Really? Moving to a vault seems to move it to glacier @ aws. Looking at their documentation they insist the backup software will do everything.
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

infused,

I was referring to tape vaults in Veeam B&R console (entity for offline media tracking). I assume AWS move tape to glacier when you shelf them, is that correct?
shlomia
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: Shlomi Avraham

[MERGED] How can I backup to Amazon Glacier?

Post by shlomia »

Hi, I've been looking around and I couldn't find any full guide on how to configure Veeam to work with Amazon Glacier..
I'm kinda lost and I'm about to purchase glacier storage..
PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 729 times

[MERGED] Re: How can I backup to Amazon Glacier?

Post by PTide »

Hi,

Currently there is no option to send backups directly to Glacier, however you might be interested in archiving option. Or you can stick with Cloud Connect solution.

Thanks