Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
FrankHa
Influencer
Liked: 1 time

automatically run script before restore

Post by FrankHa »

Our tape system (a Versity HSM) is not officially compatible with Veeam Backup&Replication, but I successfully integrated this into our Backup Infrastructure as a target for Backup Copy Jobs in that sense that we now have copies of our backups there. From Veeam point of view, this is just a smb repository, on the target server itself I needed to do some tweaking in order to avoid timing issues in Veeam. So far, so good.
Now, when I want to restore machines from files that are offline, I need to stage the whole old chain before I start to attempt the restore. For this, I would like Veeam to run a script prior to the restore (which should be triggering a script on the Server itself to a) stage the files needed and b) deactivate automatic release for those files) and another script after the restore is done (to activate automatic release again).

So basically I want Veeam to collect a list of machines and corresponding backup dates, send it to the Versity HSM server, wait for return of a success, then restore the machines and at last send a "restore done" message to the Versity HSM, so that the server can release those files again.

Is there a convenient way to integrate such pre- and post-restore scripts in the Veeam Backup&Replication admin console?
Better ideas?
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2294 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Re: automatically run script before restore

Post by Mildur » 1 person likes this post

Hi Frank

Today there is no way in the Veeam Console to run a script automatically before the restore process starts.
But you can build your own tool/frontend which uses RestAPI/PowerShell to talk to Veeam and to your tape system.

Best,
Fabian
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software
FrankHa
Influencer

Post by FrankHa »

Hi Fabian,
I am aware of that, but this would not be as streamlined and comfortable as I was hoping for.
Before I proceed, there are some related questions:
Is there a way to modify the time for smb timeout errors?
Is there a convenient way to output a list of all files that are about to be read for a restore job?
FrankHa
Influencer

Post by FrankHa »

I just fixed the timeout via Windows registry.