Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
dpeach01
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: Denis Peach

B2T from AHV forever incremental source synthetic full daily

Post by dpeach01 »

I set up a new Tape server and library to backup copies of my Nutanix AHV backups from my MINE repo's. I set up a single B2T job with all source jobs included. New media set Fridays, 3 weeks retention. Virtual Full on Saturday. Selected Archive incrementals. Process latest chain only. Use HW compression. Run when new jobs appear. Did not check the prevent job from being interrupted.

I am getting recurring failures of the job with all or most backups failing with the error 'Foreign Transform' (Transform). The jobs that do succeed have only VBK files (no incrementals after two successful RP's). This is running way too slow and I'm going to eat up all of my LTO8 tapes at this rate. How do I get a single virtual full on the weekend and incrementals daily?
My source job doesn't run active fulls, just forever incrementals with daily rp's.
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: B2T from AHV forever incremental source synthetic full daily

Post by Dima P. »

Hello Denis,

Can you please clarify what Veeam B&R version are you at? Just to clarify, the source is backup copy jobs created within Veeam B&R or just backups created by Nutanix proxy? Thanks!
dpeach01
Influencer

Post by dpeach01 »

v10 P2.

Veeam AHV Proxy generates the source job which is linked to B&R, but B&R provides no real config. Its all done in the proxy. The repos are in B&R. AHV proxy is Forever fwd. A new vbx file is generated and moved forward one day after retention is run every night.
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Hello Denis,

Thanks for the details!

UPDATED: Sorry for the confusion, we've checked this functionality again with the tape team and all should be working correctly with v10, so the described behavior is unexpected. As a possible solution try to enable Prevent this job from being interrupted by source backup jobs option in the backup to tape jobs.

If that does not help please raise a support case and share the case Id with me? I'll pass it further for debug log analysis. Cheers!
dpeach01
Influencer

Post by dpeach01 »

After letting it run for a couple of days I am seeing vib files now, so I think it is working as expected. Ill monitor for a couple of weeks. Thanks
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Thanks for sharing Denis. Let us know how it goes or if you need further assistance. Cheers!