[New to Veeam] Backup last 4 Weeks on Tape

Everything about backing up to tape

Re: [New to Veeam] Backup last 4 Weeks on Tape

Veeam Logoby PTide » Wed Sep 02, 2015 10:27 am

2 drives are necessary to have one on the server and one out of office in case of disaster.
4 drives are used to expand the time of available backups to four weeks.
A maximum of one week old data, out of office, is acceptable by the business.
Do you have enough space on your server to hold 1 Full + 28 incrementals (aside from USBs) ? The idea is to keep 1 Full + 28 daily incremental backups right on your server and utilize a backup copy job, that will copy your incrementals to some remote machine (either linux or windows) fast and wisely, so that you will have an independent backup chain outside of the office. Sounds good?

P.S. USB drives are woefully slow, which causes problems with performance during backups.
PTide
Veeam Software

Liked: 247 times

Veeam Logoby Novae » Wed Sep 02, 2015 11:10 am

PTide wrote:Do you have enough space on your server to hold 1 Full + 28 incrementals (aside from USBs) ? The idea is to keep 1 Full + 28 daily incremental backups right on your server and utilize a backup copy job, that will copy your incrementals to some remote machine (either linux or windows) fast and wisely, so that you will have an independent backup chain outside of the office. Sounds good?

i dont think that the server will have enough space for that. i need to think about that.
Maybe a NAS would be an option to save the backups until the D2T job are started?

PTide wrote:P.S. USB drives are woefully slow, which causes problems with performance during backups.

Thats why i want to use USB 3.0 and run the fullbackup on the Weekend so i think the perfomanceproblems should not be an impact to the business.
Novae
Novice

Liked: never
Full Name: Christian Unger

Veeam Logoby PTide » Wed Sep 02, 2015 11:43 am

Maybe a NAS would be an option to save the backups until the D2T job are started?
You can save backups to any repository available, the options are:

▪Microsoft Windows server with a local or directly attached storage
▪Linux server with local, directly attached or mounted NFS storage
▪Shared CIFS (SMB) folder
▪Deduplicating storage appliance: EMC Data Domain, ExaGrid and HP StoreOnce
PTide
Veeam Software

Liked: 247 times

Previous

Return to Tape