Discussions specific to tape backups
mhussain
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Maqbool Hussain

Backup of Empty Folder - Case 03119826

Post by mhussain » Aug 02, 2018 1:48 am

Please add Feature Or release a new version of Veeam Backup and replication so I can take a take a backup of the empty folder.

The empty directories are excluded when running a file-to-tape job. I don't know if this is a bug or by design or if I am missing an option, but we would really like to have a way to have them included to be able to guarantee a 100% identical copy of the directory structure to our users.

Case 03119826

Mike Resseler
Veeam Software
Liked: 530 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Re: Backup of Empty Folder - Case 03119826

Post by Mike Resseler » Aug 02, 2018 4:56 am

Hi MHussain,

First: Welcome to the forums!
Before I pass this message to the responsible PM, can you tell me what exactly is happening. You have selected a root directory containing X amount of folders and Y amount of those folders (and subfolders) have files in it... There are some folders who are empty and those are not seen on the tape? Is that correct?

Dima P.
Veeam Software
Liked: 659 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. » Aug 03, 2018 4:28 pm

Hello mhussain.
The empty directories are excluded when running a file-to-tape job.
That's true - file to tape jobs operate on the file level, so if the folder is empty - it's going to be skipped from processing. I noted a feature requested based on your post, so thanks for sharing!

mhussain
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Maqbool Hussain

Post by mhussain » Aug 09, 2018 12:20 am

Essentially we have a directory structure containing evidence, which has lots of subdirectories in, some with files and some without. When we try to do a file to tape backup job, Veeam seems only to be backing up the directories where files are present and excluding those empty directories. As this directory structure is evidence is important to back up everything including the empty directories.

That's why I have requested for the feature so we can backup of the empty folders when we perform file-to-tape backup