Backup Rotation Question

Everything about backing up to tape

Re: Backup Rotation Question

Veeam Logoby Luka » Tue Feb 25, 2014 2:16 pm

Vladimir, I didn't mean to use "backups copy job" as a source for "backup to tape" job I know this is not possible. I meant to use "backup repository" as source for the "backup to tape" job. Can this work or I am still limited to use "file to tape" job
Luka
Influencer

Liked: never

Veeam Logoby v.Eremin » Tue Feb 25, 2014 2:21 pm

Even if you chose the repository backup copy job is writing to, the files produced by this job will be still skipped from processing. So, file to tape job seems to be the best option, if you're after archiving files produced by backup copy job.

Thanks.
v.Eremin
Veeam Software

Liked: 987 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Veeam Logoby Luka » Tue Feb 25, 2014 2:28 pm

Thanks, so coming back to my previous question. How will the "file to tape job" know what is the latest vbk file? And how to deal with the incremental backups only to tape on working days?
Luka
Influencer

Veeam Logoby v.Eremin » Tue Feb 25, 2014 3:00 pm

How will the "file to tape job" know what is the latest vbk file?

As I have said, with backup copy job, there is only one .vbk file in place. Though, with specified retention (7 days), it wouldn't be the latest, but rather the weekly old one.

And how to deal with the incremental backups only to tape on working days?

You can set the ".vib" mask to "daily" file to tape job, and ".vbk" for weekly and monthly ones. This way, incremental backup files will be copied each day, while, full backups each week/month. However, you should definitely test it with small job and see whether you're able to apply increments copied on daily basis to the full backup copied during the weekend.

Thanks.
v.Eremin
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby Luka » Thu Feb 27, 2014 12:43 pm

Hi Vladimir

I made this work the way as you suggested and it looks like it does do the job. So this is the way it works now

1)We have backup disk job with 54 restore points of all our critical server + another backup to disk job of our standard server with 7 restore points (full backups on Friday and forward incremental on Monday to Thursday)
2)There is a copy backup job to disk that is using 2jobs (critical and standard servers) to write with 7 restore points
3) I have created 2 media polls (daily and weekly) Daily with 7days retention period and weekly with 4 weeks retention period
4) I created 2 file to tape jobs, one called daily is looking at the "copy backup job" repository and writing files with *.vib mask- pointed to daily media poll, second file to tape job called weekly is also looking at the "copy backup job" repository and writing files with *.vbk mask - pointed to weekly media poll. I decided to give up monthlt tape job as I can't see the point (other than adding extra tape protection). I can use weekly tape job for my monthly tape backups

It all works fine for the moment, the only problem I noticed is that when I set "copy backup job" on Tuesday it created full backup, then Wednesday incremental and Thursday incremental - I would like to have full backup *.vbk created on Saturdays, not Tuesdays How can I achieve that?

Regards
Luka
Luka
Influencer

Veeam Logoby v.Eremin » Thu Feb 27, 2014 1:38 pm

It all works fine for the moment, the only problem I noticed is that when I set "copy backup job" on Tuesday it created full backup, then Wednesday incremental and Thursday incremental - I would like to have full backup *.vbk created on Saturdays, not Tuesdays How can I achieve that?

Not sure whether I completely follow you on that. You mean that backup copy job created its first full restore point on Tuesday, right?

Thanks.
v.Eremin
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby Luka » Thu Feb 27, 2014 1:48 pm

yes this is exactly what I meant, even do the source for the copy backup has full restore point on Fridays
Luka
Influencer

Veeam Logoby foggy » Thu Feb 27, 2014 2:29 pm

Backup copy job is always incremental and synthetically creates restore points in remote location from the changed blocks extracted from the source storage. The full backup file is always the oldest file in chain.
foggy
Veeam Software

Liked: 1096 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Veeam Logoby Luka » Thu Feb 27, 2014 2:44 pm

Thanks Alexander I understand now, so the weakness of my design is that the full restore point *.vbk will be always a week old in my scenario (7 restore points)
Luka
Influencer

Veeam Logoby v.Eremin » Thu Feb 27, 2014 3:08 pm

Yes, that was exactly what I meant.

Though, with specified retention (7 days), it wouldn't be the latest, but rather the weekly old one.

Thanks.
v.Eremin
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby Luka » Thu Feb 27, 2014 3:32 pm

If on backup copy job settings I tick "keep full backups for archived purposes" and select Weekly backups 1 at Friday 22:00. Will this sort my problem? I should have a full vbk file for last Friday. The only unknown is will I also have "regular" vbk file that is related to retention policy (always 7 days old)?

http://helpcenter.veeam.com/backup/70/v ... arget.html
Luka
Influencer

Veeam Logoby foggy » Thu Feb 27, 2014 3:38 pm

You will end up with several VBK files this way - the specified number of GFS restore points plus the regular one.
foggy
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby Luka » Thu Feb 27, 2014 4:01 pm

Ok, If I take off the *.vbk mask of the weekly tape job that means that it will copy 7 day old vbk file + 6 vib files, but I will have Weekly tape backup up to date taken over the weekend, which is what I want

The problem I can see now is related to incremental backups that I take on daily basis. First of all with having daily file to tape job filtered for *.vib I will always copy 6 vib files (I would accept it as incremental backups are very small) Obvoiusly to restore incremental backup form tape I will need a full vbk which is the start of the chain, as vbk will change every day - will I be able to restore i.e Thursday incremental backup from tape having full vbk and all vib as per Sunday a few days before
Luka
Influencer

Veeam Logoby foggy » Thu Feb 27, 2014 4:08 pm

Luka wrote:Ok, If I take off the *.vbk mask of the weekly tape job that means that it will copy 7 day old vbk file + 6 vib files, but I will have Weekly tape backup up to date taken over the weekend, which is what I want

Not exactly. I should have mentioned this earlier, GFS restore points are not created but rather existing full is simply copied and marked as weekly GFS on reaching the day specified in the GFS schedule. So they still will be dated by the previous Saturday in your case.

Luka wrote:The problem I can see now is related to incremental backups that I take on daily basis. First of all with having daily file to tape job filtered for *.vib I will always copy 6 vib files (I would accept it as incremental backups are very small) Obvoiusly to restore incremental backup form tape I will need a full vbk which is the start of the chain, as vbk will change every day - will I be able to restore i.e Thursday incremental backup from tape having full vbk and all vib as per Sunday a few days before

No, you will need the exact VBK from the chain you've copied over to tape.
foggy
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby v.Eremin » Thu Feb 27, 2014 4:14 pm

First of all with having daily file to tape job filtered for *.vib I will always copy 6 vib files.

Not exactly, only two backup files will be copied on everyday basis - one full backup (the oldest), one incremental backup (the newest). The files in between will stay unchanged, and, hence, not copied to tape appliance.

Thanks.
v.Eremin
Veeam Software

PreviousNext

Return to Tape