Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
Luka
Influencer
Liked: never

Re: Backup Rotation Question

Post by Luka »

v.Eremin wrote: Not exactly, only two backup files will be copied on everyday basis - one full backup (the oldest), one incremental backup (the newest). The files in between will stay unchanged, and, hence, not copied to tape appliance.
Vladimir not sure what you mean. My understanding is that with copy backup job with 7 restore points I will always have 7 files (vbk as the beginning of the chain + 6vib) on the target disk repository? i.e

Copy Critical and Standard servers backup2014-02-25T090000.vbk
Copy Critical and Standard servers backup2014-02-26T090000.vib
Copy Critical and Standard servers backup2014-02-27T090000.vib
Copy Critical and Standard servers backup2014-02-28T090000.vib
Copy Critical and Standard servers backup2014-03-01T090000.vib
Copy Critical and Standard servers backup2014-03-02T090000.vib
Copy Critical and Standard servers backup2014-03-03T090000.vib

If my daily tape job (file to tape is copying all files with *.vib mask) I should finish with 6 files on the tape. Am I right?
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Vladimir means that if the file hasn't changed since last backup, file to tape job will not copy it. Only changed files are copied and since all but the latest VIB files are not changed between job runs, they will not be copied (however, they were already copied during previous job runs so finally you will have them all on tape).
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

I should have been more clearer. What I meant was that after initial run the file to tape job will copy only changed files or, in other words, that have not been copied before.

Let's just imagine the backup copy job has already taken place and copied 7 corresponding files (25-03). Tomorrow, .vbk will be moved towards, and, also, new incremental restore point will be created (2014-03-04T090000.vib). Only these restore points will be copied tomorrow by file to tape job. The incremental files in between will stay intact, and, therefore, won't be copied by the job.

This was my point.

Hope it helps.
Thanks.
Luka
Influencer

Post by Luka »

Thanks to you both, I know what you mean now. Veeam interface seems to be so simple, but when you try to understand all logic behind it gives you a serious headache :)

For now I decided to set backup copy job with only 2 restore points and I will have to write .vbk and .vib file every day to tape, so I can rely on my Weekly and daily tape backups. It is not perfect, but I can see any other easy option here

If we forget about GFS tape rotation. Is there a way of having latest full backup copied to tape on Fridays and daily incremental backups Mon-Thursday, but working days increments will have to be from the same backup chain as the vbk I write to tape on Fridays, so I'll be able to restore data from tapes at any time
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

Is there a way of having latest full backup copied to tape on Fridays and daily incremental backups Mon-Thursday, but working days increments will have to be from the same backup chain as the vbk I write to tape on Fridays, so I'll be able to restore data from tapes at any time.
Then, you can put into use backup to tape job, pointing it to the given backup job.

During initial run, it will copy every restore points created by the "source" backup job. However, once initial run is finished, it will work the way you've described, copying full backups created on Fridays, and incremental points created during the week (Monday - Thursday).

Thanks.
Luka
Influencer

Post by Luka »

Vladimir we had similar solution in place initially:

1) disk backup with 71 restore points (full backups on Fridays) forward incremental on other days
2) Backup to tape (backup job selected) pointing to media pool set with 7 days retention period, with setup "as new backup file appear" it worked fine for few weeks and then for some reason it started backing up more then "the new files" i.e few weeks old vbk files. I spoke to Veeam technical support and was told that was caused by too short retention period on media pool. In other words if the retention period for tape job media poll is shorter then retention period of disk backup (source) Veeam software wouldn't remember what was backed up to tape before and with start backing up also older files (screwing the rule "only the new files that appear). Would that make sense? The reason the media pool was set for 7 days is that our daily tapes are overwritten weekly
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Yes, this is how it behaves currently. As far as I know, this should be discussed and probably adjusted in future version. However, I would note that having retention of backups stored on tape shorter than those stored on disk is not typical, since tapes are usually considered as longer-term archiving media.
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

So, you can either adjust retention settings of the given media pool, so that, they are inline with those of "source" backup job, or utilize the proposed workaround that uses combination of backup copy and file to tape jobs.

As to the retention settings adjustment, it would, probably, include adding new tapes mediums to for hosting increased number of restore points.

Thanks.
Luka
Influencer

Post by Luka »

Our disk backups have 71 restore points (backups taken twice a day), so if I converted that to days the retention period of media pool would have to be set to 36 days I guess. My problem with this is that my daily tapes will be protected for 36 days, so I won't be able to overwrite them on weekly basis. Unless I have a script that would run Monday - Thursday that would move the tapes to "Free" media pool after the inventory job is executed, but before tape backup job is triggered. Is there a chance it may work?
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

My problem with this is that my daily tapes will be protected for 36 days, so I won't be able to overwrite them on weekly basis. Unless I have a script that would run Monday - Thursday that would move the tapes to "Free" media pool after the inventory job is executed, but before tape backup job is triggered. Is there a chance it may work?
The overwrite operation will delete the backup data stored on the give tape mediums. If this data is still preserved by "source" backup job, it will be archived to tape again. So, its like a vicious cycle - you overwrite tape, restore points stored there get deleted, if they are still present on disk, they will be copied again. Not something you're after, I imagine.

Thanks.
Luka
Influencer

Post by Luka »

Can the data then be appended to the tape? Our Veeam incremental backups are very small i.e 40GB and 2 LTO3 daily should store 800GB, so that should do the trick until retention period is passed
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

Can the data then be appended to the tape?
The "append" period can be managed via media pool "Media Set" settings. Thanks.
Luka
Influencer

Post by Luka »

Is that specified in the screen that I have attached in the link: http://helpcenter.veeam.com/backup/70/h ... l_set.html
At the moment our setting is "Don't create, always continue using current backup set". Should that be then changed to "create new backup set for every backup session"
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

"Do not create, continue using the current media set" option should answer your requirements.

As stated in the link attached, with this option the backup data should be appended to tape medium. If you experience different behavior, feel free to raise this with support team either via existing case or via a new one.

Thanks.
Luka
Influencer

Post by Luka »

Thanks, I'll give it a go. I''ll extend redundancy policy on media pool to 36 days and see how it goes
thanks again for your help I'll report if any issues occur
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

Glad to hear that our input was helpful. Looking forward to hearing your results. Thanks.