Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
neo565656
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Vanness cheong

Backup Target vs Backup to Tape

Post by neo565656 »

Recently, we purchased a Backup Target Datadomain, and we going to use it to replace the backup to the server's Local Disk.

For our internal discussion, I would like to change the method from "Daily Backup to tape" to Weekly Backup to tape.

I thought the backup target was reliable and enough to protect my Backup, it would save the money to purchase the tape.

After a crazy discussion, half of the team members thought about a tape that was the best, is the safety, and should keep the backup to tape every day.(Another concern is the Backup to tape's time takes more than half of the day, and it may affect the Daily Backup to disk in short)

I would like to ask if someone can share an idea how do you think the status/idea/best practice.

Thank you
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2294 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Re: Backup Target vs Backup to Tape

Post by Mildur »

Hello Vanness

I recommend to use Data Domain retention lock in our upcoming release of Veeam Backup & Replication (v12.1). This feature will help you to protect your backups on the data domain.
Neither less you should have a second copy of your backups. Which should be stored in an offsite location. This can be on Tape (which you take offsite) if the Data Domain is your primary backup target.

Weekly or daily tapes is related to your business requirements. How much data loss can your organization survive? If 1 week is ok, then write weekly tapes. if not, consider daily tapes. Don't forget to store them in another location, not in the same building as your primary backup storage and production data.

Best,
Fabian
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software