Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
nozmac
Novice
Liked: 1 time

Backup to tape from Remote site

Post by nozmac »

Hi

We are using Veeam B&R v11. We have two sites one in a remote Datacentre, on On-Prem
The Datacentre houses the majority of servers, mainly Hyper-V VMs. The on-prem site is where the tape drive is located.
The datacentre backup are written to a repo also in the datacentre, with backup copies going to an on-prem repo
The on-prem backup are written to an on-prem repo, with backup copies going to a datacentre repo

We would like to write backups from the Datacentre jobs, AND on-prem backup jobs to the tape drive that resides on-prem

When we create a Tape backup job and choose the backups to write to tape, it only shows the local backup jobs.

Is there a method we could use to backup the both the datacentre backups and on-prem backups onto Tape.

thanks

Noz
skitch210
VeeaMVP
Liked: 23 times
Full Name: Marty Williams

Re: Backup to tape from Remote site

Post by skitch210 »

my guess is the remote site is a separate VBR server, which is why you are not seeing those backups
nozmac
Novice
Liked: 1 time

Post by nozmac »

Indeed it is. I'm looking for a solution on how to backup-to-tape of both on-prem and datacenter backups. Any suggestions would be welcome.
Vodochnik
Enthusiast
Liked: 4 times
Full Name: John

Post by Vodochnik »

@nozmac I have similar setup and I use File2Tape job to write backups to tape made by another VBR server.
This job looks for new files on NAS share and write them to tape as increments.
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2890 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Post by HannesK »

yes, file-to-tape is the most common workaround. the alternative would be to consolidate everything to one backup server