Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Backup to Tape only last backup with reversed incrementa

Post by foggy »

Basically, Veeam B&R copies only files that have been changed since the latest backup, according to information about backups stored in its database. If you're observing different behavior, I suggest contacting support for investigation.
itpfp
Influencer
Liked: 3 times
Full Name: it

Post by itpfp »

foggy wrote:Basically, Veeam B&R copies only files that have been changed since the latest backup, according to information about backups stored in its database. If you're observing different behavior, I suggest contacting support for investigation.
Ok, so based upon what does it determine this ? And again, can this be obtained by using powershell.

The backup file from the operating system's perspective hasn't been changed.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

What retention policy is specified in the settings of given media pool? How many tape are you using? Most likely, the cassette containing previous backup data was overwritten, as the result, the corresponding data was removed from backup tape catalog and backup to tape job decided to copy the files anew.

Thanks.
motoxrdr21
Influencer
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Steve

[MERGED] Backup only the latest vbk to tape

Post by motoxrdr21 »

I'm running into issues with my Tape job, I think it'll make the most sense if I explain our backup plan first:
-Reverse incrementals are performed daily(7 days) to disk with Active Fulls on Saturday.
-For compliance purposes we copy those backups to tape M-F and store them in an on-site safe on a 4 week cycle with the final backup of the year retained indefinitely.
-After Saturday's Active Full is completed it's copied to a self-encrypting external HD for storage off-site which is rotated weekly. (I haven't set this up yet, but I assume it'll be a simple Backup Copy job?)

Since we only do tape on M-F I had to setup a time-based schedule for the tape job rather than using 'as new backups appear' and I have it set to not process incremental files, the problem is every Monday the job sees two full backups (the active full from Sat and the reverse incremental from Mon) to backup, we only use 1 tape nightly which isn't large enough to fit two full backups so I end up cancelling the backup the next morning and throughout the week it continues to see the two full backups to copy and requesting a second tape.

Is there a way to configure the tape job to backup only the latest full backup ignoring the others?
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Steve, please review this thread for the answers. Basically, Veeam B&R copies files that have been changed since the latest backup and in your case both VBK files should be copied.

Btw, is it a requirement to get a new active full each week? It is a bit overkill, to say the least. With reversed incremental mode the need for performing active full backup isn’t that strong, one full every 1-3 months is more than enough.
claudiofolu
Enthusiast
Liked: 4 times
Full Name: claudiofolu

[MERGED] : Help with tape backup policy

Post by claudiofolu »

Hello
We need some help/recommendation with a backup policy for our company.
We have defined the following policy:

365 restore point in disk - this is done by a backup job with weekly fulls

1 monthtly full backup to tape job for archive (never expire)
We are not sure how to accomplish that last, because when we set the Backup to Tape job, all the Full point are recorded to tape, and we need to have only one full for the current month in tape.
I know we have to use Backup Copy jobs but we are not sure how to set it up
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

As mentioned above, in order to achieve what you're after, you should utilize combination of file to tape job and hard links. Thanks.
boje
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Patrik Malmros

[MERGED] : Tape latest VBK?

Post by boje »

Hello!

I want to make monthly backups of the latest VBK to tape, to store offsite.
Today I runt Incremental with synthetic fulls every Friday, storing 4-5 full VBK´s on disk.
Each VBK is about 7TB and it´s to mcuh data to store all of them on tape every month. I only want to store the latest VBK on tape. Is that possible?

Should i change the Backup mode to Reverse incremental? In the guide it´s recommended to use Incremental with synthetic fulls for tape storage.

Br
Patrik
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

Patrik,
I’ve merged your post to the existing thread. Please, review the resolutions provided before. Thank you.
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

Another workaround cane be found in in the adjacent thread; might be worth taking a look. Thanks.
Stuzoo72
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Stuart Montgomery

Post by Stuzoo72 »

Why are "workarounds" being suggested?
Will Veeam make this a feature of v8?
The concept is simple, it should be simple to implement. A tickbox would be the only addition to the tape job gui needed.
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

According to the plan, version 8 should have this functionality. During job creation it would be possible to make a tape job copy either the full chain or part of the chain starting from the latest full backup. Thanks.
joergr
Veteran
Liked: 39 times
Full Name: Joerg Riether

Post by joergr » 2 people like this post

I am working on a new ps script which will do backup to tape only the latest full backup when using reverse increments. This will take some time, though, and some testing, because some objects have changed when using powershell with V8 and my original script has to be modified. I will get back to this thread when it´s ready.

BTW: Starting with V8 you can tell B+R to "synthesize" a full backup from a full+increments with a special schedule for tape backups. BUT this is not for reverse increment jobs from what i understand and from what i tested. BUT it would be possible to create a copy job from a reversed increment job and then let the backup to tape job attach the copy jobs files as source and then do the full synthetic schedule. That would work.

V8 offers many many different approaches to many many scenarios and ideas.

With newly introduced tape role as "agent" it would now be possible to control a huge veeam server farm plus streamers plus proxies and repositories from within a single veeam master control console. That enables very complex ideas and very complex scenarios to design.

Saying that - i guess this is the reason why they call it the "headcracker" inside of VEEAM ;-)

Best regards,
Joerg
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

Hi, I'm not sure if you've noticed that or not, but with 8 it's now possible to instruct a backup to tape job to either copy a full chain or just a chain starting from the latest backup. You're given a choice during job creation. Thanks.
joergr
Veteran
Liked: 39 times
Full Name: Joerg Riether

Post by joergr »

Hi Vladimir,
that is correct but this was only a small part of what i wanted to accomplish. The main "headbanger" was the categorical tape erase, no matter what - even if last backup was a few hours ago. Please check my very first post in this thread.
Bets regards,
Joerg
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

Got it. In this case, the best approach might be to utilize files to tape job, and update its source via the script (yes, it's now possible to do that without using creative workarounds). Thanks.
sbbots
Enthusiast
Liked: 25 times
Full Name: Matt B

Post by sbbots »

v.Eremin wrote:Got it. In this case, the best approach might be to utilize files to tape job, and update its source via the script (yes, it's now possible to do that without using creative workarounds). Thanks.
So basically nothing has changed. We still have to run scripts just to do a simple files-to-tape job that only copies the most recent VBK. Literally all it would have taken was an additional filter during job creation to "Only copy files created in the past X days" and scripts would no longer be necessary. Oh, but now I can run that script within the job instead of using Windows Scheduler. MIND BLOWN.

This thread is one of the most viewed discussions in the tape forum (if not the entire forum) and I see MANY posts asking for exactly the same thing, mostly from SMB customers. If we didn't care about making Veeam better we wouldn't bother posting here, so this is disappointing.
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

Hi, Matt, have you see the new option that I mentioned several posts earlier? With this option, now you can make newly-created backup to tape job copy only the chain that starts from the latest full backup.

Joergr's case is a little bit different and still might require additional scripting.

Thanks.
justind
Enthusiast

Post by justind »

Is there any way to set a Backup to Tape job to always use the "Latest" option to archive only the latest backup chain to tape permanently?
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

The option I was talking about applies only during job creation (whether a backup to tape job should copy the whole chain or only the portion that starts from the latest full backup). However, can I ask you what backup mode do the source backup jobs use? Thanks.
justind
Enthusiast

Post by justind »

I use forward incremental with transform
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

Then, I would stick to new forward incremental forever backup mode, and let backup to tape job create synthesized full backup directly on tapes on whatever basis you want to. Thanks.
justind
Enthusiast

Post by justind »

Do you know why the option to only copy the latest chain to tape is only available for new tape jobs?

I would think that once the logic has been coded it wouldn't be that difficult to flag the backup to tape job to do this each run not just the first.

Whilst the new incremental forever mode is a nice option I'm not convinced that modifying our backup jobs for this purpose is the best solution.
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

justind wrote:Do you know why the option to only copy the latest chain to tape is only available for new tape jobs?
The major concern reported by customers has been the fact that newly created backup to tape job starts to copy whole chain, instead of transferring only portion that starts from the latest full backup. The said functionality addresses this issue.

Also, we expect customers' switching to new backup mode (forward forever incremental backup), as it's more space conservative compared to forward incremental mode. So, it will make sense to apply this option only during job creation (whether or not to copy previous .vbk files). Once the switch is done, new full backups will not be needed on disks any longer.

Thanks.
justind
Enthusiast

Post by justind »

Ok I can see how things are geared towards shifting people over to the forever forward incremental and using virtual synthesized full backups on tape. I still think the option to be able to permanently set the 'Latest' full only to tape would be handy as not everyone wants to move away from the Reverse Incremental/Transform mode.

If I were to move over to the forever incremental mode and wanted to synthesize a full backup to tape any time the tape job is run would I schedule this within the tape job 'Full Backup Schedule' to run on everyday of the week?

For example, if I run the Tape job on Thursday it will synthesize a full, if I run the job every Tuesday it will synthesize a full etc.

Also, if I do run an active full for whatever reason, how does that effect the synthesized full backup?

EDIT: The reason I ask about the active full is unlike the Backup Copy job settings there is no option to compact the full backup (that I can see anyway)
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

I still think the option to be able to permanently set the 'Latest' full only to tape would be handy as not everyone wants to move away from the Reverse Incremental/Transform mode.
Got it. Your voice is heard.
If I were to move over to the forever incremental mode and wanted to synthesize a full backup to tape any time the tape job is run would I schedule this within the tape job 'Full Backup Schedule' to run on everyday of the week?
Correct.
Also, if I do run an active full for whatever reason, how does that effect the synthesized full backup?
Enabling full backup will return forward incremental mode. The synthesized schedule should stay intact.
EDIT: The reason I ask about the active full is unlike the Backup Copy job settings there is no option to compact the full backup (that I can see anyway)
Adding compact full backup functionality to backup jobs that use forward increment forever mode is on our radar.

Thanks.
sbbots
Enthusiast

Post by sbbots »

v.Eremin wrote:Hi, Matt, have you see the new option that I mentioned several posts earlier? With this option, now you can make newly-created backup to tape job copy only the chain that starts from the latest full backup.
How does this apply to Standard users who only have files-to-tape, as I have mentioned in my previous posts?
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

The said functionality applies only to backup to tape jobs. Copying the latest .vbk file via file to tape jobs still requires scripting, though. Thanks.
sbbots
Enthusiast

Post by sbbots »

v.Eremin wrote:The said functionality applies only to backup to tape jobs. Copying the latest .vbk file via file to tape jobs still requires scripting, though. Thanks.
So if you own the lowly Standard edition don't bother making suggestions; You just get silly workarounds for things that could be easily fixed. That is really stupid.
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

We’ve already tried to ease the life of those using backup to tape jobs by providing “copy only the latest chain” option (which has been one of the biggest requests we got). We may consider implementing the functionality mentioned by you down the road. So, thank you for the feedback.

Thanks.