Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
mduffin
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: Mick Duffin

Backup to Tape ( RDX )

Post by mduffin »

Hi,
We are currently moving from Backup exec to Veeam, I've configured the jobs to currently backup to a single tape ( RDX Drive ) and just to keep overwriting which works great with no issues, performed a DR test and managed to restore all backed up servers...

what we will be doing eventually is to start backing up to a NAS at a remote site and also cloud storage.. but I need to look at this...

In the meantime could someone talk me through the best way to set up multiple RDX drives for a Monday to Saturday 4 weekly rotation... so every day we will put in a new tape... I'm assuming is not as easy as just swapping the tapes each day is it? I thought I mat have needed to create a different repository for each of the tapes?

Any help or guidance would be appreciated.

Regards,
Mick.
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: Backup to Tape ( RDX )

Post by Dima P. »

Hello Mick,

If you are referring to RDX system that should not be configured as tape device, instead you need to add regular Windows repository with rotated drive option enabled.
In the meantime could someone talk me through the best way to set up multiple RDX drives for a Monday to Saturday 4 weekly rotation... so every day we will put in a new tape... I'm assuming is not as easy as just swapping the tapes each day is it?
I'd rather keep single tape per week.
I thought I mat have needed to create a different repository for each of the tapes?
Should not be per tape, instead you can create repository per several jobs if the requirement is to split up some data across multiple tapes.
mduffin
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: Mick Duffin

Re: Backup to Tape ( RDX )

Post by mduffin »

Hi Dima,

Thanks for your reply... Yes that makes sense now, I had totally missed the Rotated Drive Option.. so I've enabled this and will do some testing.

Thanks again.

Regards,
Mick.