Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
BDassow
Novice
Liked: never

Begin with Backup to Tape

Post by BDassow »

Hello,

i want to use Veeam to Backup it´s own Backup-Data.
At now, i´v got an Backupdatasize from 16TB Full and 3TB incremental.

I´dont wont Veeam to write all existing Backupdata to tape, because this was done with an other Backup-tool. I only want to write the latest data to tape, and then begin to write the data incremental each day.

I hope you understand what i mean.

Best regards,
Benjamin
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: Begin with Backup to Tape

Post by Dima P. »

Benjamin,

For your scenario, I suggest creating a new backup to disk job and link the backup to tape job - in such setup you will avoid writing the existing data to tapes with Veeam and will proceed only with new backups.
BDassow
Novice
Liked: never

Post by BDassow »

Hello and thanks for the reply,

at the moment i´ve got 12 Backup Jobs for the virtual machines. Do i have to link every backup to disk job with the backup to tape job? If this is so, what does veeam with the used tapes? Takes the programm one tape for every linked b-to-d job or keep it writing on the uesed tapes?

I´dont wont to create new b-to-d jobs for the virtual machines.
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

You can create either one backup to tape job for each backup to disk job or include all backup to disk jobs it one backup to tape job - it’s up to you.

During backup to tape job you need to choose existing/create new media pool with attached tape media. Here, again, you can create separate media pools for each job or use one media pool for all backup to tape jobs. In last case, please use "Create new media set on every backup session" media pool option - this will ensure that each backup to disk job will use its own portion of tapes taken from one media pool.

For the detailed option explanation please refer to the backup to tape section (p 424) of the Veeam B&R v7 user guide.
Thank you.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Please also refer to this description for better understanding on how Veeam B&R writes to tapes within the pool.