Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
Stupots
Enthusiast
Liked: 8 times
Full Name: Stuart

Busy robot instantly fails job if it needs a new tape

Post by Stupots »

Hi, we have a few long running tape jobs (4 days) and if our Ops team are for example exporting 30 tapes and the Veeam job happens to fill a tape and needs a new one, it doesn't wait for any period of time if the robot is busy, it just fails.
"Full backup: Failed to continue tape backup session on the next tape medium The device is not ready. Asynchronous request operation has failed"

I've mostly been avoiding this recently by doing the exports for them (as it typically takes 5-6 hours to fill a tape, so I can see if a job is due for another), but wondered if this was still an issue in V12 or others have experienced it.

Thanks
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2296 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Re: Busy robot instantly fails job if it needs a new tape

Post by Mildur »

Hi Stuart

I didn't heard of that issue.
My recommendation is to open a support case and let our support team check the logs.
If it's a known issue, the support engineer will confirm it.

Best,
Fabian
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software
Stupots
Enthusiast

Post by Stupots »

This happened again and I confirmed immediately with our Ops team that someone was exporting 30 tapes, so the robot was busy, so I have opened a case 06105369. The exports/imports are done through the Veeam GUI and the tape library is not shared with any other software and is 100% partitioned for Veeam.
Stupots
Enthusiast

Post by Stupots »

It turns out that the default timeout for Veeam BR waiting for a busy robot is only 60 seconds. CS gave me a reg entry to put on the tape server that can extend this to a desired number of seconds. Quite handy when importing 30 tapes can take around 20 minutes.