Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
Kazuha
Enthusiast
Liked: never
Full Name: Kaedehara Kazuha

Can I restore only single tape backup job from the Veeam B&R Coniguration Backup(.bco file)?

Post by Kazuha »

Hello everyone,

In this post:post506946.html, I tried to restore Veeam B&R to the previous state that I haven't backed up the corrupted tape (let me call it Tape A) to verify if the tape A can be verified in the previous state.

But In that day, before I backed up the corrupted tape A, I successfully backed up another good tape(let me call it Tape B). Now I rollbacked to the state that I haven't backed up my corrupted tape A, but my good tape B backed up Job was also rollbacked.

Now I have two FULL BACKUP(.bco file) of both state, Can I merge two tape backup job together?(Which is to merge new good tape B Job and previous state together)

Thank you very much!
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2294 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Re: Can I restore only single tape backup job from the Veeam B&R Coniguration Backup(.bco file)?

Post by Mildur »

Hello Kaedehara

Our configuration restore does restore the entire configuration database. It's not possible to restore just a single backup job.
If it's only a "Tape Job" you need to restore, why not just create a new job?
https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... ml?ver=120

Best,
Fabian
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software
Kazuha
Enthusiast
Liked: never
Full Name: Kaedehara Kazuha

Re: Can I restore only single tape backup job from the Veeam B&R Coniguration Backup(.bco file)?

Post by Kazuha »

Hi Mildur!

I may misundersand the meaning of "Tape Job".

Actually, I want to restore the tape B job and the latest database file associated with it, because now tape B has been restored to the state before the last backup, but I will still use this tape B for incremental backup next time. I hope Veeam knows the latest state of this tape B when backing up next time, avoiding writing the files that have been backed up last time or writing the same incremental backup twice, messing up or corrupting the data on tape B. I'm afraid to break another tape once more. :(

I wonder if cataloging tape B can meet my requirements, and whether Veeam will automatically identify and update the database of backed-up files on tape B when cataloging?

Sincerely,
Kazuha
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

Hi Kazuha,

Since its not possible to restore particular job configuration and the tape is corrupted I'd suggest to start the backup from scratch to ensure the integrity of your data on tape. You can create a new job with the same source and new media pool as a target while keep old tapes for the entire retention period and erase those manually whenever retention is over (possibly you need those for recovery). Hope it helps!