Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
perdrix
Novice
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: David Partridge

Community edition tape backup

Post by perdrix »

A little confused here - can the Community edition do full system backups of Windows and Linux (Ubuntu) systems to tape?

If not can I backup to NAS drive and then move the backup to tape? (D2D2T)?

Does it support backups that span multiple tapes?
jorgedlcruz
Veeam Software
Liked: 619 times
Full Name: Jorge de la Cruz

Re: Community edition tape backup

Post by jorgedlcruz »

Hello,
You can find the official comparison table here - https://www.veeam.com/veeam_backup_one_ ... son_ds.pdf

Something to note and to answer your questions:
  • can the Community edition do full system backups of Windows and Linux (Ubuntu) systems to tape?
  • A: Community does support Files to Tape. Not backups to Tape. So the answer is yes, but you will only be able to File to Tape, meaning the backup files raw is what you can send to tape
  • If not, can I backup to NAS drive and then move the backup to tape? (D2D2T)?
  • A: You can do a backup to a NAS (SMB/CIFS/or iSCSI) and then tape yes, as explained above.
  • Does it support backups that span multiple tapes?
  • A: I am not certain if Pools are allowed on Community, I think GFS, etc. are only on Enterprise/Ent+/VUL
Jorge de la Cruz
Senior Product Manager | Veeam ONE @ Veeam Software

@jorgedlcruz
https://www.jorgedelacruz.es / https://jorgedelacruz.uk
vExpert 2014-2024 / InfluxAce / Grafana Champion
BrianBuchanan
Enthusiast
Liked: 9 times
Full Name: Brian Buchanan

Post by BrianBuchanan »

Anyone looking at this in 2024, as of 12.1 Community Edition no longer supports File-to-Tape. There's a 3-month grace window for existing jobs to continue to run until you pay for a license.

As per the release notes:
Upgrading Veeam Backup & Replication
System Requirements
8.Are you using File to Tape jobs? Consider the following:
o They have been re-engineered for scalability and are no longer free with Veeam Backup &
Replication 12.1. You will have a grace period of 3 months following the upgrade to Veeam
Backup & Replication 12.1, during which your existing jobs will not consume a license. For more
information, see Instance Consumption for Object Storage Backup, File Backup, and File to Tape
Jobs.
o File to tape jobs can now process Distributed File Systems (DFS) data.
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2294 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Post by Mildur »

Community edition still support File to Tape.
It consumes one of the free licenses for every 500GB source data. Therefore you can write 5TB to Tape if no other workloads are protected by the backup server.

Best,
Fabian
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software