Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
dgoundar
Lurker
Liked: never

Commvault tape conversion to Veeam

Post by dgoundar »

Hi,

We have moved from Commvault to Veeam but need all the historical backups in tape to be converted. Doesn't necessarily need to be converted to Veeam format but even just restored to disk so Veeam can pick it up. Anyone have done this before. I understand this is a lot of effort and may not be the right way of doing it, but this is what has been asked by the leadership.

Appreciate any advise.
Andreas Neufert
VP, Product Management
Liked: 1408 times
Full Name: Andreas Neufert

Re: Commvault tape conversion to Veeam

Post by Andreas Neufert »

Aare you aware that there are services like Kroll Ontrack that archive the tapes for you and let you access the data when really needed?
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: Commvault tape conversion to Veeam

Post by Dima P. »

dgoundar,

There is no possibility to restore any third-party written tapes via Veeam B&R console. Based on previous discussions I recommend keeping the trial version of the third-party next to these tapes and install it whenever required, moreover, I know that some customers keep third-party server full backup made by Veeam B&R and spin the virtual machine from the backup whenever it's required to restore something from tape. Cheers!