Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
Daithi
Enthusiast
Liked: 3 times

Concurrent Jobs

Post by Daithi »

Hi there,

We are currently testing some alternate backup solutions in our company. We've tested Veeam and it seems excellent but I do have one question.

Our normal method of backup was full/incremental Backup to Disk Mon-Fri and a full tape backup of Monday's disk. The problem is our tape backup can run over a number of days. Is it possible for Veeam to run two backups at the same time? The tape backup and the disk backup?
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: Concurrent Jobs

Post by veremin »

Can you shed a little more light on what you’re trying to achieve?

Generally speaking, it’s possible to use both jobs concurrently, assuming it’s forward incremental mode that is being used, since incremental passes don’t lock corresponding full backup.

Thanks.
Daithi
Enthusiast
Liked: 3 times

Post by Daithi »

Actually having read the actual documentation ( which always helps :) ) I think it's fine

Scenario:
Mon-Friday: Incremental backup to our disk backup
Saturday: Full back to tape

However our backup to tape generally takes a long time (Sat-Tue) I need the Tape backup running but also the following Mon,Tue,Wed, etc disk backups running also?

It looks like the secondary backup should sufice?
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

Yes, since it’s forward incremental mode that is being used, there won’t be any issues with copying full backup file to tape, while backup activity is taking place.

Thanks.