Considerations moving to new tape server?

Everything about backing up to tape

Considerations moving to new tape server?

Veeam Logoby pkelly_sts » Thu Feb 16, 2017 2:17 pm

I'm currently planning the migration steps for relocating to a new building/location. As part of the project we're deploying new ESXi hosts & a new backup repository/tape server to replace the existing repository/tape server (B&R is deployed to VM & will be retained) but we'll be retaining the Tape libraries connected to the existing.

So, what impacts do I need to plan for when migrating a tape library & its existing media sets to a new physical server? We currently have 1 media set for daily backups and another GFS media set for Monthly/Yearly backups (not currently doing weekly) so really need to ensure that the existing media set is still usable/readable etc. but I accept that the current media would be "closed" so whatever the first tape backup is on the new server at least would, as a minimum, expect to start to a new tape.

Having written this down I'll also need to consider the timing/order of copying/moving disk repository contents as well. One of the biggest challenges is that the old site will NOT have network access directly to the new site, though both will be connected to an existing 3rd site...

Any advice/gotchas/warnings/disappointing consequences gratefully received :-)
[New Sig: PLEASE get GFS tape support for incrementals!!!]
pkelly_sts
Expert

Liked: 55 times
Full Name: Paul Kelly

Re: Considerations moving to new tape server?

Veeam Logoby ChrisJ0907 » Fri Feb 17, 2017 2:16 pm

I can't answer your original question, but would it be possible for you to get a VPN created between the old and new site, bypassing the 3rd?
ChrisJ0907
Influencer

Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Chris James

Veeam Logoby pkelly_sts » Wed Mar 15, 2017 10:42 am

Apologies, I forgot to come back to this one (and move time is drawing nearer).

A VPN won't help in this case, I'll be physically detaching the tape library from one physical server & re-attaching it to a new physical server, and that server is expected to take over tape jobs from that point forwards, so what I need to understand is how I transfer "ownership" of those tapes to the new server.

I'm guessing when I bring up that server I'll initially get a bunch of "duplicate barcode" errors.

I think I'll log a query case with support & get their advice...
pkelly_sts
Expert

Veeam Logoby Shestakov » Sun Mar 19, 2017 9:22 pm

Hello Paul,
I would start from a question of migration existing VMs to new vCenter/ESXi hosts. Are you going to migrate VMs to new vCenter? If yes, will you keep MoRefs with the migration tool?
Depends on how fast you want to make all the changes and how often you preform backups it may make sense to just create new jobs.
Shestakov
Veeam Software

Liked: 430 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Veeam Logoby pkelly_sts » Sun Mar 19, 2017 10:05 pm

My VM migration plan will simply be to (cold) vmotion them (due to different CPU architecture) to one new host before shutdown in the old environment, then physically move that host & storage to the new DC then spin the VMs up there along with two other new hosts already deployed but not yet part of the cluster, but this is less of a concern to me, I'm more interested in the integrity of the tape media sets at this point, and the ability to continue them whilst connected to the new tape server.
pkelly_sts
Expert

Veeam Logoby pkelly_sts » Thu Mar 23, 2017 9:55 am

I'm pleased to say that this worked even better than I expected! Moved a library over & veeam just auto-configured to shift things around perfectly!

One supplemental question though, what happens if I move drives into a new tape library chassis (talking HP MSL kit here if relevant) i.e. what "owns" the tapes, the library or the drive? So, if I have 2 24-slot tape libraries (MSL2024) with one drive each, and I move those two drives into another library (MSL4048) then will everything still remain intact?
pkelly_sts
Expert

Veeam Logoby Shestakov » Thu Mar 23, 2017 10:15 am

Once you move drives to new library you just need to perform a rescan and that should work.
Shestakov
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby pkelly_sts » Thu Mar 23, 2017 10:28 am

OK, so as a library is tied/linked to a media pool, will it automatically replace the library in the appropriate media pools?
pkelly_sts
Expert

Veeam Logoby Shestakov » Thu Mar 23, 2017 8:27 pm

We`ve checked it with QA, yes, library should be replaced after migration and rescan.
Shestakov
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby pkelly_sts » Thu Mar 23, 2017 9:06 pm

Perfect, thanks!
pkelly_sts
Expert

Veeam Logoby Shestakov » Thu Mar 23, 2017 9:11 pm

Let us know how it works in your case, since that`s not a popular case.
Thanks!
Shestakov
Veeam Software

Return to Tape