Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
SmokinJoe
Enthusiast
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Joe G

copy all .VIB to tape b4 full

Post by SmokinJoe »

Hi All,

I would like top backup all incremental files since the last full to tape. This is with the assumption we can use the last FULL weekly and one of these incremental files(.vib) to restore files even if they were created M-T and someone deleted them before the full tape runs on Friday/Saturday. I would keep these incremental objects(assuming it fits on one tape) with the fulls for x years.

Thanks,
Joe
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2890 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: copy all .VIB to tape b4 full

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
just to make sure: the incremental chain plus the full is needed to restore from an incremental backup. Example: if Wednesday increment is missing, then restore from Thursday increment is impossible.
if they were created M-T
not sure what M-T means :-)

General answer: enabling the incremental option should do what you like

Best regards,
Hannes
SmokinJoe
Enthusiast

Post by SmokinJoe »

I should have said Mon-Thu
SmokinJoe
Enthusiast

Post by SmokinJoe »

HannesK wrote: Dec 02, 2021 4:31 pm just to make sure: the incremental chain plus the full is needed to restore from an incremental backup. Example: if Wednesday increment is missing, then restore from Thursday increment is impossible.
This is why back in 2015 a user on the forums here asked for the ability to do differential backups... I still want this and the ability to restore files from the "incremental .VIB" file only. This is what a file server admin would want...

Thanks,
Joe
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

Hello Joe,

Currently it's not possible - you must have a full + incremental restore point to restore from incremental restore point. If you need to process only full backups - you can either disable incremental processing or use Weekly GFS media pools. Thanks for your feedback, I'll add your vote to this feature request!