Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
asoncini
Lurker
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Andres Eliseo

Copy job to remote repository + tape

Post by asoncini » 1 person likes this post

Hi gurus!

I'am new to Veeam. I was searching a good backup suite and i found in Veeam too many great qualities and capabilities. I am an historic user of Arcserve Backup, D2D or UDP. Looking forward to reeplace them with Veeam.

I am currently working in a backup strategy for a new client. Client has his main site A, and is connected to private cloud, site B, with optical fiber at 100 mbps.

All his production loads (VMs on vCenter cluster) are on his private cloud, on site B. Site A has a few things, like Domain Controllers & test sistems. Clients has a subscription to Veeam enterprise plus in his site B, but none in site A.

Site B has a local repository where Backups are saved. I need to provide them whit Backup to TAPE outside Site B. So the plan is:

Server + Tape library in Site A.
Add this server as tape infrastructure in Veeam console in site B.
Use this tape as target of a copy job.

The thing is i must copy arround 2.6 TB and the link at 100 mbps is not sufficient, i think.

If i add a secondary repository (CIFS) in site B and replicate backup from Site B to Site A i would like to copy from Repository in site A to Tape in site A. But i have only one Veeam console who owns the tape and is located in Site B. If this is possible, how this copy is done? Is it done by local lan in site A, between Fileserver CIFS in site A and Tape Backup Server in site A (lets say over a 10GB or 1 GB link) or does it go through the optical Fiber link (100 mb) between Site A and Site B?

How can i achieve this? How Virtual tape full Backup can help? Do i need any proxy?

Thanks in advance!
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2890 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: Copy job to remote repository + tape

Post by HannesK » 1 person likes this post

Hello,
In general, the concept "backup to site B -> backup copy job to site A -> backup to tape job from site A to site A" is a good concept.

the 2.6 TB, is that the initial full backup, or the daily change rate? The first backup transfer is not the problem, just wait for the backup copy job to finish. The only thing that is important for the BCJ is, that you can transfer the incremental data. How big is your amount of incremental data? Keep in mind, that the backup copy job is "incremental forever".
Server + Tape library in Site A.
Add this server as tape infrastructure in Veeam console in site B.
the tape server must be in Site-A where the library is located. Otherwise you will end up with cross-traffic over the 100MBit link
repository (CIFS) in site B and replicate backup from Site B to Site A
what do you mean here? If the backup copy job cannot do it, then other technologies will probably also not be able to do the "replication"
But i have only one Veeam console who owns the tape and is located in Site B
keep in mind, that the "tape server" owns the tape. And the backup server owns the tape server.

To simplify everything, I recommend using the same Veeam edition everywhere and have only one backup server that manages everything.

I'm just talking about the production loads. You need the following:
Site B
- backup server (could also be Site A. does not matter)
- repository
- proxy

Site A
- tape server
- repository

Best regards,
Hannes