Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
TimoW
Service Provider
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Timo Wende

Copy only some VMs to tape?

Post by TimoW »

Dear Community,
A customer asked me for a very simple feature: He wants to backup all his VMs in a single job (B2D, standard business, works fine), but only copy a part of these VMs to tape afterwards (Disk2Tape).
First I told him no problem, but then saw that I can actually only select whole jobs or repositories as the source for a tape job. Is this really such an unusual customer request or did I miss something?
Does anyone have an idea? :)

kind regards,
Timo
soncscy
Veteran
Liked: 312 times
Full Name: Harvey

Re: Copy only some VMs to tape?

Post by soncscy » 1 person likes this post

Hey Timo,

You mean they want just like specific disks and such to tape?

Indeed, unless I've missed something, Veeam just backs up whatever the 'primary' job backed up. If the primary jobs have full backups, then tape will also.

Tape is an "extension" of the primary backups, not a stand-alone as I understand it. You can "sort of" do this with File to Tape, but I advise against this.

A fast workaround, however, is export the desired content to disk (folders, disks, etc), and back that up and delete the content once done.
TaylorB
Enthusiast
Liked: 14 times
Full Name: Taylor B.

Post by TaylorB » 1 person likes this post

The way to do this is to split up the regular Veeam backups into two jobs. Then configure a tape job for only one of the Veeam backups. You cannot do exactly what the customer is requesting. However, there is no real downside to having multiple VM backup jobs. Many large environments have dozens of jobs.

In Veeam, tape backup does not backup VMs. It backs up jobs or repositories. So in order to split up your VMs going to tape you have to split them across jobs or repositories.
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

Taylor is right: you can split existing jobs or, say, create a backup copy jobs for only selected VMs and then use such backup copy job as a source for backup to tape. Cheers!